DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019

by having the leg lead the hip, the front shoulder can stay in long enough for the hands and barrel to change direction towards the ball.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

This is a pretty good progression imo.From the knees could be quite helpful if one could acquire that feel. I would stress doing it from an oppo tee position. The feel of the hands delivering the barrel instead of the shoulders is what one should extract from this progression. I use the Ryan Braun drill. Same difference.

Sometimes the front shoulder pulling off is not a front shoulder or sequence thing but a decel problem within the sequence. Jmo.

Jul 29, 2013
Need help with a drill or something to do to help my DD keep her front shoulder closed longer through her swing. I'm an old baseball guy and she fights me when I tell her to bite on her jersey. Any help or drill would be greatly appreciated.
I always thought pulling the shoulder isn't the problem. Good, complete shoulder turn is critical to generating power. The problem is pulling the hands and getting them across the centerline of the body. She's disconnected.
Do the Stretch n Fire drill. Hands extend from the back shoulder, not across the body.

Jul 29, 2013

I have to say, this is some of the worst instruction you can get. Sure, you'll stop pulling your front shoulder out. You'll also stop hitting with any power and prevent getting on base in general. You'll be really good at hitting pop-ups and grounding out to second base.
What's wrong with a good shoulder turn anyway?
Whatever happened to "stop using your hands," and "use your body, legs, and core to swing." ?????

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-15-22-12-29.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-15-22-12-29.png
    708.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2019-07-31-22-03-31.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-31-22-03-31.png
    295 KB · Views: 18
Jul 29, 2013
The front shoulder pulling off early is not a “que” issue. It’s the direct result of a swing that is out of sequence: the upper body muscles are trying to power the swing causing a top down swing sequence. A properly sequenced swing will be initiated from the ground up (through the feet, legs/hips, core and eventually the upper body and hands). The rear scap must resist against the firing of the lower body as long as possible for the swing to sequence properly. Failure to get into or maintain scap load allows the upper body to fire too early causing the front shoulder to fly off the ball.
Hitting is similar to pitching in that most issues at contact or after can be traced back to something that occurred or didn’t occur earlier in the swing. For example, Extension is not the result of telling a player to get to extension. Extension is a byproduct of a properly sequenced swing.

The drill that was posted in this tread is something I would never teach to a hitter
This video is Jamie Cevallos talking about casting the barrel. I've tried it and it solves many problems with sequence and helps with the feeling of the big leading the small.
Could be worth a try.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I have to say, this is some of the worst instruction you can get. Sure, you'll stop pulling your front shoulder out. You'll also stop hitting with any power and prevent getting on base in general. You'll be really good at hitting pop-ups and grounding out to second base.
What's wrong with a good shoulder turn anyway?
Whatever happened to "stop using your hands," and "use your body, legs, and core to swing." ?????

Whose ever idea it was that you can put mass into a ball strike at any decent level of play was sorely mistaken and has paid the price of leaving the game early or when they weren’t ready.

Jul 26, 2016
Learn to dissociate lower and upper body. Can she turn the hips independent of the shoulders?

A drill for this could be stand facing a wall, bent arms 90 degrees in front of your face (like end position of a butterfly machine) and then press the forearms against the wall to fixate the shoulders and then turn the lower body.

Jul 29, 2013

Whose ever idea it was that you can put mass into a ball strike at any decent level of play was sorely mistaken and has paid the price of leaving the game early or when they weren’t ready.

Do as they do, not what they say they do....or what they do on deck....
Turn the shoulders: Miggy turns his shoulders 20% faster than average.
JD Martinez and Cabrera actually hitting a pitch with shoulders turned:Screenshot_2019-12-01-08-38-31.pngScreenshot_2019-12-01-08-53-59.png
Still think you should keep the front shoulder "in" ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi