DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Need help with a drill or something to do to help my DD keep her front shoulder closed longer through her swing. I'm an old baseball guy and she fights me when I tell her to bite on her jersey. Any help or drill would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 20, 2017
Need help with a drill or something to do to help my DD keep her front shoulder closed longer through her swing. I'm an old baseball guy and she fights me when I tell her to bite on her jersey. Any help or drill would be greatly appreciated.
Without video, it’s most likely caused by never getting into a full scap load or releasing scap load too early. Could also be a result of bad posture, not staying in legs through contact and allowing shoulders to tilt some.

Feet together stride and hit Justin Stone still will help with scap load. Must emphasize the stretching of the hands, pull back of back elbow. Very important to exaggerate the slowness of performing this drill, controlling the stride with the back leg

I give them some sunflower seeds tell them to freeze at the end of their swing and they should be able to spit a seed on the plate. Slow them down till they get it then speed them back up. After that que is could you spit on the plate and they should self correct.

Jun 8, 2016
I give them some sunflower seeds tell them to freeze at the end of their swing and they should be able to spit a seed on the plate. Slow them down till they get it then speed them back up. After that que is could you spit on the plate and they should self correct.
Screenshot from 2019-11-27 08-44-53.png

Aug 20, 2017
The front shoulder pulling off early is not a “que” issue. It’s the direct result of a swing that is out of sequence: the upper body muscles are trying to power the swing causing a top down swing sequence. A properly sequenced swing will be initiated from the ground up (through the feet, legs/hips, core and eventually the upper body and hands). The rear scap must resist against the firing of the lower body as long as possible for the swing to sequence properly. Failure to get into or maintain scap load allows the upper body to fire too early causing the front shoulder to fly off the ball.
Hitting is similar to pitching in that most issues at contact or after can be traced back to something that occurred or didn’t occur earlier in the swing. For example, Extension is not the result of telling a player to get to extension. Extension is a byproduct of a properly sequenced swing.

The drill that was posted in this tread is something I would never teach to a hitter

May 16, 2019
"The front shoulder pulling off early is not a “que” issue. It’s the direct result of a swing that is out of sequence: the upper body muscles are trying to power the swing causing a top down swing sequence. A properly sequenced swing will be initiated from the ground up (through the feet, legs/hips, core and eventually the upper body and hands). The rear scap must resist against the firing of the lower body as long as possible for the swing to sequence properly. Failure to get into or maintain scap load allows the upper body to fire too early causing the front shoulder to fly off the ball.
Hitting is similar to pitching in that most issues at contact or after can be traced back to something that occurred or didn’t occur earlier in the swing. For example, Extension is not the result of telling a player to get to extension. Extension is a byproduct of a properly sequenced swing." Cornbread

And working from the bottom up, the leg fires before the hip will help keep the front shoulder from flying out early

May 12, 2016
Great video here on Posture... Look at how by maintaining posture it creates space for proper barrel path... allowing the barrel to get behind the ball, instead around ball which is what your DD is doing.

Here's another video that will really help your DD

This guy is easy to understand.. so I would first educate your DD and get a feel for how things should work. Sometimes jumping right to a drill is not the best option.. been there and done that. I've been doing a lot less isolation drills and concentrating on the overall sequence. It's amazing how many problems can be ironed out when focusing on the bigger movements. Maintaining posture is one of the most important IMO. A lot of things will go wrong if proper posture isn't maintained.. for example, front should flying open, pulling off the ball, balance issues, energy direction, around the ball instead of behind and through etc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28