Dd wants to play some catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
So our first year in tb we worked on hitting and catching, a lot. Then last summer dd decides she wants to start pitching for her first year in 10u(I wish I had taken it more seriously and started her learning a lil earlier) After much prompting I decided she was serious so she started taking lessons and we started practicing. Well dd is quite good at pitching. I'm not ready to call her the next Monica Abbott, but........... she does above average.
Now as summer approaches she has borrowed someone's catcher's gear and decided she wants to play some catcher. She insists pitching is still her main focus, just wants to try it, so I figure summer ball is a good place. I had a talk with her and told her to be careful(yeah right!) that her tb team is counting on her to pitch.
This website has been one of the greatest tools on our adventure. So I guess now I must start perusing the catcher's posts. Any good tips for a beginner? What about some good drills? I'lll take anything. She's got a good arm throwing from home to second. Stright line throws, not the typical high arching ones, and very accurate. Which brings up a question. Should a throw from home to second be a one hopper or in the air as close as possible to where the tag is?
Does anyone know the distance between home and second?
You guys really are awesome. I know we all disagree(and agree) about a lot but I don't know what I would do without ALL of you! I wish more in our area would read this board. I've mentioned it to a lot of people but have received very lil interest.:(

May 17, 2011
Using some geometry a^2+b^2=c^2
a,b=60feet distance between bases.

C=84.8' the hypotenuse, distance between home and 2nd.
About 85 feet

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I prefer the throw to be in the air. I have played on some of those fields in Southern IL and if the ball hits a dirt clod, your fielder may get the ball in the face.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Using some geometry a^2+b^2=c^2
a,b=60feet distance between bases.

C=84.8' the hypotenuse, distance between home and 2nd.
About 85 feet

Mike, you just blew my mind, man! How can you use such language on a family website!:)
Thanks, I knew there was a way to figure it out, but I'm just a dumb coal miner!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Get the NECC catching DVD for $40 and you've got all the coaching she'll likely ever need. IMO, I don't believe that there is enough time in a regular kid's daily schedule to put in the time to excel at both P or C unless you live in China or the old E. Germany.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Air or 1 hop.... A lot of girls have trouble catching the 1 hoppers when there is a runner coming at them. I would rather the fielder catch the ball and make a slightly late tag then the ball bounce into cf.

Agree with Greenmonster, you can't do both, but try it out sparingly. If she is playing 4-5 games in a day, she is going to dislike softball quickly if she has to pitch a game, then catch a game back to back.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Get the NECC catching DVD for $40 and you've got all the coaching she'll likely ever need. IMO, I don't believe that there is enough time in a regular kid's daily schedule to put in the time to excel at both P or C unless you live in China or the old E. Germany.
I agree. I have told her that if she really likes catching she will have to choose one. But that both positions require lots of extra work. Her pitching coach was a catcher for Texas A&M and USSSA Pride so I think she would be tickled to death.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So our first year in tb we worked on hitting and catching, a lot. Then last summer dd decides she wants to start pitching for her first year in 10u(I wish I had taken it more seriously and started her learning a lil earlier) After much prompting I decided she was serious so she started taking lessons and we started practicing. Well dd is quite good at pitching. I'm not ready to call her the next Monica Abbott, but........... she does above average.
Now as summer approaches she has borrowed someone's catcher's gear and decided she wants to play some catcher. She insists pitching is still her main focus, just wants to try it, so I figure summer ball is a good place. I had a talk with her and told her to be careful(yeah right!) that her tb team is counting on her to pitch.
This website has been one of the greatest tools on our adventure. So I guess now I must start perusing the catcher's posts. Any good tips for a beginner? What about some good drills? I'lll take anything. She's got a good arm throwing from home to second. Stright line throws, not the typical high arching ones, and very accurate. Which brings up a question. Should a throw from home to second be a one hopper or in the air as close as possible to where the tag is?
Does anyone know the distance between home and second?
You guys really are awesome. I know we all disagree(and agree) about a lot but I don't know what I would do without ALL of you! I wish more in our area would read this board. I've mentioned it to a lot of people but have received very lil interest.:(

Just walk off the distance between home and second next time you are a field. Then you can walk off the right distance anywhere you are.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06