DD may not make a travel team this year...advise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Your daughter needs to understand that not making a team doesn't mean the coaches have judged that she's not good enough for the team, or that all their current players are better than her. It just means that she is not the best candidate for the few openings they have. In other words, she might be (and probably is) better than some girls already on the team, but she's not (in their opinion) the best player they think that they will find to fill a particular role. I know girls better than my daughter who wouldn't make our team at the moment because we can need a pitcher or a catcher, and nothing else will do.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Could I please see a video of her pitching? Maybe something would jump out at me. Also, since she doesn't have the foot speed, I "might" forget all other training and focus on hitting.

Step up to the plate at tryouts and bounce a couple off of the fence and they will make a place for you.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I coach an 18u team right over the Bridge on the outskirts of Philadelphia. Our team only has 2 girls who aren't 16u eligible, 90% of these girls are playing high school ball and when they play that they are playing with girls who are 17 & 18. In this area I havent found much of a difference between 16u & 18u, in fact I found that most organizations skip 16u all together to get the girls more used to playing in high school.

However at this point a lot of teams have tryouts and have a general team. They are typicallly lookinf for specific postions at this point, but if you give it a week or 2 when players start to jump ship for other offers things will open back up. Just keep putting her face out there at tryouts.

If she is willing to forego pitching, than I wouldn't have her pitch.

I cut girls from my team that have "made it" in every sense of the word if I see that they are a pitcher who will struggle to crack my top three rotation. Some of the most unhappy players and families I've seen through the years are girls who are pitchers who are just outside the rotation. Since I know it is tough to make these people happy, I simply let them go and hope they find a team where she'll be able to pitch enough for their liking. I do this no matter how good the girl is playing anywhere else.

Many other coaches do this, as well.

Jun 18, 2010
Do you have a local fastpitch website where you can post her availability? She sounds exactly like what we were looking for last year as a first year 16A team. We have two strong pitchers, but were looking for a third with limited expectations of pitching time. Anyone who has ever tried to make it to the championship game through the losers bracket knows how valuable a #3 pitcher is. If I were you, I wouldn't push the panic button just yet. Continue to train and guest play though the fall. I'd be surprised if an opportunity didn't present itself.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What I've found is that just because you do not find a team in August, it does not mean that you will not find a team all year. There are teams posting endlessly for players long after tryouts are over and there's snow on the ground. At 16/18, injuries do happen, and teams often scramble for players at that point. Also, there are always kids who thought they were committed but changed their minds as the school year goes on. Hang in there and keep practicing. There is a team out there for your DD!

Aug 13, 2010
If she is willing to forego pitching, than I wouldn't have her pitch.

Not a bad idea as she knows that she will still get to pitch for her HS team. She would probably want to pitch for travel though. I think that she would tell me it is OK not to play pitcher, but in reality she would be chomping at the bit to get on the mound.

May 4, 2012
From the "Knowing what I know now" category - having the Fall off may help you much more than you realize if that time is put into "perfect practice". As we have moved up through the ranks and witnessed lots of girls of varying abilities along the way. A recurring theme I have seen, in far too many girls that play a heavy travel schedule - is simply a failure to improve basic aspects of their game which could easily be perfected if they simply dialed up some intense uninterrupted and focused practice. We used to have a girl on our 14u team with blazing speed but deficient slapping and throwing skills - now she is playing 18u and guess what - still has the same issues. Sure her speed may carry her into college, but she would already be committed if she had simply made the time to focus on some perfect practice. She has issues that need not only proper instruction, but countless hours of repetition to commit those lessons to muscle memory.

If you think about when you have the largest blocks of time to put in some quality practice with your daughter - it's on the weekends. Tournaments are good to apply and gauge what you have practiced, but they aren't the best forum for practice and they sure occupy a lot of weekends

Think of softball as a pyramid - the wide base was full of girls playing tball and coach pitch. The tip is basically college with a very limited number of girls from that wide base still playing. Based on your description, it sounds like you are coming from a "b" level background and beginner pitching level - well, they darn sure don't increase the number of b level teams as you age up. And the good "a" level teams are getting pick of the litter - as you push up this pyramid. It's starting to get to the "up or out" for the most part. So, if she's serious about going up, I would encourage and help her practice as much as she possibly can b/t now and Spring without any distractions and see if you can't get her skill set up to that of A level talent. Otherwise, just enjoy high school softball and punt the rest.

The Talent Code is an interesting read along these lines. Don't despair - practice hard and practice perfect - if that's what she really wants to do.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How strong is your DD at her primary position? How wide a geographical area are you scanning for teams? Dropping back to a lower B team may be a better option if she wants to pitch.

Jun 21, 2012
For the teams she tried out for and didn't make, let them have your contact info for possible subbing.

Fall ball at the 16U and 18U can be hectic. Social engagements, Homecomings, Dances, and Jobs tend to take a lot of focus of these level players.

There is a tendency to move teams as well. After the Fall season, some players may team swap for a myriad of reasons.

Keep her practicing, and keep your ears open in the community. You will find a team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA