DD may not make a travel team this year...advise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
This situation is a bit confusing for me. My DD has been playing travel ball for 5 years. She plays several positions (1B, 3B, OF, and has privately trained as a pitcher for 1 year now). She had played pretty much exclusively "B" level ball. She was even the starting varsity pitcher as a freshman for her small HS team this past season. My DD is aging up to 16u this year and we had to leave the last team. The team was 50% 1st and 50% 2nd year players. Not enough (decent) players to build a new team around, so there will be no 16U team.

We have tried out for several teams this past month, but have been turned down by every one so far (16U & 18U "A" & "B" levels). When she tries out, she participate in the pitching portion of the evaluation in addition to hitting and fielding. We know at this point she is probably (at best) a #3 pitcher. I am wondering if this is why she is not being asked to play on teams. We even list P as her secondary position so that the evaluators do not think that is all she wants to do. When I get the chance, I convey that she is still working on pitching, has only been pitching for 1 year, and does not expect to be a starting player at that position, but is trying out as a non-pitcher (it's just a bonus that she can pitch if needed.). She hits, fields, and throws very well, but is not the fastest player by far (I joke that the evaluators need a sun dial to time her base running). We have a tryout for 2 more "B" level teams in the area (Central NJ) until our options have been exhausted.

It seems to me that many of the teams that could field a 16u team have opted to have an 18U team instead. The 16U teams appear to be far and few between. I don't kid myself and I know that she is not ready for 18U softball, but would do pretty well playing at the 16U level.

The ultimate question I have is...what do we do if she does not make a team this Fall? My current plan is for her to continue training as a pitcher and also training with fielding and hitting until this winter when some spots may open up. I have even signed her up for speed & agility classes this fall to improve her athleticism. She will continue to see her private instructor, and now will also be taking group pitching lessons once a week this Fall. She does not play any fall sports in school, but I am trying to convince her to play HS basketball in the winter for conditioning purposes. This whole process has been hard on her. It breaks my heart when she recently said, "Why does nobody want me?".

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Try taking her to a tryout and go sit in the car. You mention the conversations you have with the coaches so maybe you are setting the stage for failure. If she's trying out for 16U it's time to let her do the talking.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
16u is pretty scarce here too, and we live in a hotbed of softball. Most fall tourneys ( around here ) are a combined 16u/18u bracket because of the lack of true 16's, and because of the 50% high school rule. Taking your team from 14u straight to 18u is a common practice, you just have more "options" that way.

Don't fear the age jump, lots of 18u teams have girls from 14 years old up. Just because 15 year old Sally is playing for the 18u Heat, doesn't necessarily mean she is a beast, could be a number of reasons why she's there beyond her physical attributes.

Long story short, if you called me on the phone and explained your situation like your post, I'd recommend expanding your efforts to the 18u level. ( around here anyway )

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
That's tough Lothar, sorry to hear she is having a hard time finding a team. I think there are a lot of girls out there that can make the plays and get the hits but they just don't show well in a tryout environment. Since she has been on the same team for so long, her tryout skills may be rusty. When trying out there are a couple of things I have told my daughter.

1) Throw as hard as you can- Coaches are prone to look at a strong arm with accuracy issues more favorably than a weaker arm that is more on target.
2) Get in the position for the drill faster than any other player- do not lag- run to the spot for the fly/grounder/ etc. it shows well as a sign of hustle and focus.
3) Swing hard, a few really well hit balls will stand out more than a bunch of ok contact hits.

I think since tryouts are basically the same as a practice that some girls go into practice "glide mode" instead of game mode and it really requires more laser like focus to stand out. Especially since at 16 and 18 most teams will have their core and be looking for specific add ons at certain positions and to strengthen the lineup. A girl looking to make a team like this will have to stand out in some way wither with a speed a gun for an arm or a big bat.

If she doesn't make a team it is not the end of the world but very well could be a great life lesson that will make her a better player and person in the long run.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She is also playing against 18YO already in school ball.

If she wants to play in the Fall, around here anyways, there are always Teams looking for guest players. Just have her get her name out there and you should get some invitations to play. Obviously not the best situation but if she looks good they might offer her a spot after the games.

Oct 9, 2013
Lother...I know it hurts to see DD disappointed. I have been there with mine. Try to get her to use this as encouragement to work harder than ever on pitching, agility, everything this offseason. The improvement will show in high school ball and then I doubt that you will have any trouble finding her a team in the spring. Good luck.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Lothar - not sure if you're following this NJ Youth Softball forum, but it's been inundated with tryout postings for the past 3 weeks. Another option is to create a post on the forum indicating your DD's experience and capabilities. Perhaps you'll get some interest from teams who has a need that your DD can fill. Good luck!

NJ.com Youth Softball Forum

Aug 13, 2010
Try taking her to a tryout and go sit in the car. You mention the conversations you have with the coaches so maybe you are setting the stage for failure. If she's trying out for 16U it's time to let her do the talking.

I actually don't talk to the coaches unless they approach me. I don't even give her hand signals. She is on her own at try outs.

Aug 13, 2010
NJ.com is my main source for finding tryouts. I even look at USSSA rosters and local double header leagues for teams that are in my area and then go to their web sites. Most of the 18U teams are showcase teams that ask for $10K in fees and travel expenses to fly the girls to CO & CA for showcases. I can't afford these, however, she has tried out for a few.

Jun 7, 2013
This may not be the type of advice that you are looking for but when my DD was not selected for a traveling team I had her play school tennis in the fall and she absolutely loves it and stills plays! She's a sophomore and plays on JV now.

To complete the story, I ended getting my DD on a 14U "C" team and she has since played her way up to "A". Don't get down over this. Find yourself a different way. It's business as usual in the very imperfect world of travel ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA