DD is right handed batting left handed. Lack of power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
jbooth, no where in my e mail did I talk about the swing. All I well tell you look at any top 20 college teams and tell me how many bat from the left side? 60 feet makes a big difference in terms of coaching. Yes I have played and coached both. Why many baseball coaches fail at softball is in terms of game management and then not dealing with a female player. Try to coach a female like a male and you are going to have issues. One thing that I learned from a very good coach. Ask a male coach how many times he had been married? It is a red flag.

May 16, 2010
jbooth, no where in my e mail did I talk about the swing. All I well tell you look at any top 20 college teams and tell me how many bat from the left side? 60 feet makes a big difference in terms of coaching. Yes I have played and coached both. Why many baseball coaches fail at softball is in terms of game management and then not dealing with a female player. Try to coach a female like a male and you are going to have issues. One thing that I learned from a very good coach. Ask a male coach how many times he had been married? It is a red flag.

I understand that the strategies are different, and that as a coach you should work with what you have available. I was just trying to make the point that you don't have to give up on trying to improve a right handed hitter, and switch her into a lefty slapper, just because she is fast.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I understand that the strategies are different, and that as a coach you should work with what you have available. I was just trying to make the point that you don't have to give up on trying to improve a right handed hitter, and switch her into a lefty slapper, just because she is fast.

I think that most of the ones that get switched are the faster ones with swing mechanics that won't stand up to the top level Ps. It might be short-sighted quick fix, but they usually can be more effective hitters (OBA wise) within a shorter period of time than it would take them to perfect their right-handed mechanics.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
My DD is also 9 playing 10U travel. She is a natural right handed hitter, but she is very small and fast. She switched to lefty this past winter and has done a great job of it. Her power from the left is the same as it was from the right. None! lol She is the lead off hitter on her team and puts the ball in play the majority of the time (2 k's in 7 games last weekend). As long as she keeps the ball away from the pitcher she usually gets on base. I think the earlier you switch them the better. The power, hand eye, etc from the left side will come. jmo

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Watch college softball or better yet, go to any top 20 team and google the lineup or team make up. Example Michigan 50% bat left and 5 of the starting 9 are left. Tennesee, even more bat left. Look how many are true left handed batters, few. What I getting at , what softball wants and baseball wants are different. Many baseball coaches fail to understand this. Those that coach softball at the elite level understand the sport and are recruiting left handed hitters. I have seen many players in college with very high on base %, because they slap. One measurement that they look at is ROE's. (not included in on base %). My dd leads the team every year, because the defense has to rush to get her out and it forces mistakes. So did they give up trying to be a good right handed batter, or is the game different. The google I suggested will give you an idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild