DD is right handed batting left handed. Lack of power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2012
First off let me say, I'm new to this forum and very stoked I found it. I could literally talk softball all day. I love the sport and what it is teaching my DD about drive and dedication along with some great social skills. My whole family is totally hooked.
Now on to my question. My DD is 9 playing at 10u A level. She is right handed and bats left. I think her swing is pretty mechanically sound, and she has good hand speed to the ball. But it just seems when she makes contact with the ball (from the pitcher) it seems like the balls is overpowering her and she has trouble finishing her swing. My question is, is this because she is naturally right handed and her left hand is not strong enough or is it possibly her size? (she is pretty small) It could be very possible that I'm over analyzing this also....lol

I appoligize if I posted this in the wrong forum?

Here are some vids of her in action. Thanks for any help!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-6uizl8SY&feature=g-upl&context=G2b33638AUAAAAAAAIAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtCCF9IIQSo&feature=g-upl&context=G2676950AUAAAAAAABAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-h1NmEUPM&feature=g-upl&context=G2237325AUAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
She has a pretty nice swing. I like how she whips the bat through
I would not do much at her age.
I would move the tee deeper in the zone.

You could search for the right grip - post by hitter, or sbfamily. Put that into her swing at an early age.

Work on any drills that promote the hips leading the swing with in reason for her size and weight.

Straightleg

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
How long has she been batting lefty? My DD is also small, she switched at 11. It took a good year for her to regain the power in her swing. It does come, but the left arm will be weaker than her right to begin with and it takes time to catch up.

Apr 15, 2012
She batted right during T-ball but then switched to left handed when coach pitch started. She had 2 seasons of coach pitch then went right to TB. She's in her second season of TB.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Conventional thinking is that hitting lefty takes best advantage of a dominant right hand/arm (and vice versa). But, don't forget, power originates from the lower half and core, not the arms!

Jun 20, 2008
Every part of the body has to learn a new job, and the swing may or may not have been powerful on the right...the leg that was supposed to be driving the knee and hips is now the planted leg, the planted leg that has probably never pushed off even during throwing and base running now has to drive the knee and hips, the torso is turning the other way from what it does throwing...etc etc etc...it takes time and alot of practice...switched my youngest over and totally committed to it second year 12U no more switching back and forth like she had been doing and she is 14 now and has mad power...if you believe in it make the switch and committ to it and work hard and it will come...

Oct 25, 2009
She apparently has some good coaching, she looks good. Stick with that coaching.

I agree with straightleg on the placement of the tee. It is too far out front and a little high unless she is working a specific issue. Practicing too often with it that far out front will likely cause her to reach for the ball and be too early on slower pitching and off-speed pitches. It should be just inside the front foot for a middle pitch; deeper for outside pitches; and a little out front for an inside pitch.

Jan 13, 2012
I'd venture to say that it isn't her strength. It's the fact that she's applying force through the ball.
Ideally, the swing is finished long before contact (2-3 frames). Ted Williams was the greatest hitter
of all time, batted left, threw right. I know that girls are typically weaker, but still, I don't think it's
her strength in the least.

May 16, 2010
I'd venture to say that it isn't her strength. It's the fact that she's applying force through the ball.
Ideally, the swing is finished long before contact (2-3 frames).

Nonsense. Defies scientific fact. The show "Sports Science" proved that the bat continues to accelerate, which is why in HR derby contests, the majority of HR's are to the pull side. The bat has more time to continue to accelerate and reaches max velocity out front.

Why do you think so few hitters can hit it out of the park to the opposite field? It's because the bat hasn't reached max velocity.

May 16, 2010
First off let me say, I'm new to this forum and very stoked I found it. I could literally talk softball all day. I love the sport and what it is teaching my DD about drive and dedication along with some great social skills. My whole family is totally hooked.
Now on to my question. My DD is 9 playing at 10u A level. She is right handed and bats left. I think her swing is pretty mechanically sound, and she has good hand speed to the ball. But it just seems when she makes contact with the ball (from the pitcher) it seems like the balls is overpowering her and she has trouble finishing her swing. My question is, is this because she is naturally right handed and her left hand is not strong enough or is it possibly her size? (she is pretty small) It could be very possible that I'm over analyzing this also....lol

I appoligize if I posted this in the wrong forum?

Here are some vids of her in action. Thanks for any help!!

10u fast pitch, 8 yr old DD - YouTube

10u fastpitch - YouTube

10u travel ball - YouTube

How much does her bat weigh? At that age the bats are usually so light that the ball does deflect the bat unless the bat is swung with great velocity.

I think her swing is pretty good for 9. I don't like the back elbow down at setup or the hands out front. She does load them a little, but the hands need to be well in and back, prior to the torso pulling them forward. She's not getting the body to swing the bat as well as she could. She's pulling and pushing with the hands.

Darn good for 9 though. Nice balance and steady head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball