New Slapper: Still left and Right. What's the plan in the box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2020
When DD switched at 13 both her hitting coach and her travel coach said no more hitting righty. It was all or nothing. Turns out she has more power lefty anyway. It took time and tons of reps but switching to lefty was the best decision for her. She hits, slaps and bunts
This is what I want to say to her Dad...just don't feel like it's my place. Like I mentioned, I'm only the 3B coach and not head coach. It's been tough getting him to take up the topic as well. Like I just don't feel they are paying attention to it much. Am I over thinking it? I just think there needs to be a plan in place when she steps in the box and with only partly along the journey that complicates the plan.

Oct 4, 2020
Yup, it's gonna suck for a while, but let her go full slapper mode.

It's best for her softball career if she learn how to slap as soon as possible, even if it costs you some outs and some games. We dealt with it last year. One girl on team converting to slapper and she got out almost every at bat.

Now I wouldn't bat her leadoff in that case. I'd tell her if she can improve in games she can earn the leadoff spot. That might be the motivation she needs to practice more and improve faster.
An interesting point about earning leadoff. That'll be tough because she's so lightning fast and can be very effective with the drag and soft slap - and swinging away from the right. I'm not sure we have a better option for leadoff.

Oct 4, 2020
With a runner on 3B that is a force my dd has been given the squeeze sign numerous times. In order for it to work they HAVE to be able to get bat on ball no matter where it is pitched (unless it’s obviously going over the catcher’s head). Reason being, that runner on 3B should be taking off as soon as the ball is released by the pitcher. If the batter misses the ball completely, that runner is dead. I would be very careful having her squeeze until she is more confident.

I was thinking safety squeeze. I'm not there yet with these girls to call a suicide squeeze.

As far as fouling-off soft slaps not being called a bunt attempt on 2 strikes, try to have her finish her swing after contact. You can still soft slap and follow through after.
Yea I was thinking the same thing. Will have a chat with her about it...we'll see. If she call pull it off I'd feel much more comfortable her staying left the whole plate appearance. We'll see.

Oct 4, 2018
An interesting point about earning leadoff. That'll be tough because she's so lightning fast and can be very effective with the drag and soft slap - and swinging away from the right. I'm not sure we have a better option for leadoff.

Yeah, if she's got a high OBP while figuring out slapping, then she probably can stay in that position. We simply had better options while the slapper was figuring things out and getting out all the time.

Oct 4, 2018
This is what I want to say to her Dad...just don't feel like it's my place. Like I mentioned, I'm only the 3B coach and not head coach. It's been tough getting him to take up the topic as well. Like I just don't feel they are paying attention to it much. Am I over thinking it? I just think there needs to be a plan in place when she steps in the box and with only partly along the journey that complicates the plan.

I once had a dad on the team who really wanted me to work on his DD being a switch-hitter.

I honestly told him this isn't baseball. He didn't get it. I asked her to decide what felt most comfortable and hit from that side.

Jun 11, 2012
When DD switched she did end up going from leadoff to batting 9 or 10 for a while.
once we all realized that she had a ton of power lefty she ended up batting 2 for her high school and last few travel teams. She’s a college junior now and has been leadoff for them but her coach lets her make her own decisions unless there are runners on. So if they move the whole outfield in she might hit away.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Put me down for the "Burn the Ships" approach as well. She's never going to develop as she should if she always has the right side to fall back on when things get tough.

Keeping her on the left all the time will force her to commit and get better. Yes, you may lose a few more games this year. But if you see long-term prospects in her the payoff will be oh so sweet.

May 27, 2013
When DD switched she did end up going from leadoff to batting 9 or 10 for a while.
once we all realized that she had a ton of power lefty she ended up batting 2 for her high school and last few travel teams. She’s a college junior now and has been leadoff for them but her coach lets her make her own decisions unless there are runners on. So if they move the whole outfield in she might hit away.

Yes - this! My dd also moved to last in the order while learning to slap on her TB team. Now she bats leadoff. Typically bats 2 for HS.

Jul 22, 2015
Everyone has an opinion, but there's no reason it has to be all or nothing when it comes to making the switch from R to L. I'd dedicate the majority of her practice time to working from the L side (and get in tons of work), but if the situation dictates the R side would be better in a game for whatever reason there is no good reason not to go R. I've never understood why coaches seem to think a girl can't do some of both. OU had a girl a few years ago who switched back and forth and did it well, and there have always been switch-hitters in MLB so why not try? Most will end up going entirely from the L side, but what does it hurt to try? DD switched back and forth until she felt comfortable in all phases from the L side and it worked well for her. It allowed her to make the change without feeling like she was hurting the team at times. It sure was handy in HS ball when we faced the really slow pitching as well. Tough to slap against that.

May 27, 2013
Everyone has an opinion, but there's no reason it has to be all or nothing when it comes to making the switch from R to L. I'd dedicate the majority of her practice time to working from the L side (and get in tons of work), but if the situation dictates the R side would be better in a game for whatever reason there is no good reason not to go R. I've never understood why coaches seem to think a girl can't do some of both. OU had a girl a few years ago who switched back and forth and did it well, and there have always been switch-hitters in MLB so why not try? Most will end up going entirely from the L side, but what does it hurt to try? DD switched back and forth until she felt comfortable in all phases from the L side and it worked well for her. It allowed her to make the change without feeling like she was hurting the team at times. It sure was handy in HS ball when we faced the really slow pitching as well. Tough to slap against that.

Dd did do that in HS (first game experience after learning all winter how to slap). She’d get to strike two and her HS coach would have her switch back. She said that it actually really messed up her ability to see the ball well, especially against a faster pitcher. Typically when she did switch back she’d hit a little IF roller for an easy out. Sometimes if you switch back mid-at bat you only get one pitch to get your eyes to readjust to see the pitch from the opposite side now. Not as easy for some.

All travel season she only batted from the left and that’s when we saw a quicker adjustment to slapping and being able to use all her tools she learned.

Switch hitting is fine, but I’d highly encourage the player to do it from the same side the whole at bat. Dd only does it now because she has become productive from both sides after 3 years of slapping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00