DD is right handed batting left handed. Lack of power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2012
How much does her bat weigh? At that age the bats are usually so light that the ball does deflect the bat unless the bat is swung with great velocity.

She is swinging a 29/16 bat. I actually was thinking the same way you are about the bat not being heavy enough. I'm a big believer in teaching the muscles to swing fast and developing the muscle memory when swinging fast. But I do think she is ready for a little heavier bat. At this last weekends tournament she was swinging a team mates XENO 30/20, and showing some impressive power. At the begining of this season I told her if she saved up half the money I would pay the other half and get her a bat that she wanted (CF5). She saved the money and we got the bat 2 weeks ago. We went to the cages to try it out and on the third swing the end cap went flying. So we are still waiting for the replacement bat to get here. Whole other story, but I'm not real happy with Demarini right now!!!

Apr 15, 2012
How much does her bat weigh? At that age the bats are usually so light that the ball does deflect the bat unless the bat is swung with great velocity.

She is swinging a 29/16 bat. I actually was thinking the same way you are about the bat not being heavy enough. I'm a big believer in teaching the muscles to swing fast and developing the muscle memory when swinging fast. But I do think she is ready for a little heavier bat. At this last weekends tournament she was swinging a team mates XENO 30/20, and showing some impressive power. At the begining of this season I told her if she saved up half the money I would pay the other half and get her a bat that she wanted (CF5). She saved the money and we got the bat 2 weeks ago. We went to the cages to try it out and on the third swing the end cap went flying. So we are still waiting for the replacement bat to get here. Whole other story, but I'm not real happy with Demarini right now!!!

Oh yea, the new CF5 will be 30/19

T

theaddition

Nonsense. Defies scientific fact. The show "Sports Science" proved that the bat continues to accelerate, which is why in HR derby contests, the majority of HR's are to the pull side. The bat has more time to continue to accelerate and reaches max velocity out front.

Why do you think so few hitters can hit it out of the park to the opposite field? It's because the bat hasn't reached max velocity.

Here's a slo-mo clip of a very good hitter with impecable hitting mechanics.
Take a close look at when the bat decelerates in this swing. Pay close attention to contact, before and after.
When does the bat decelerate? (here's a hint, after contact)
Go purchase former MBL hitting coach Tom Robson's book for a clear understanding of this issue.
Just my .02 cents worth.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/bucketdad/Cespedes_highside_slo.gif

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
Here's a slo-mo clip of a very good hitter with impecable hitting mechanics.
Take a close look at when the bat decelerates in this swing. Pay close attention to contact, before and after.
When does the bat decelerate? (here's a hint, after contact)
Go purchase former MBL hitting coach Tom Robson's book for a clear understanding of this issue.
Just my .02 cents worth.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/bucketdad/Cespedes_highside_slo.gif

Of course the bat will start to decelerate when the ball hits it.

My debate was with Pstein's statement that the swing was "done, WELL BEFORE contact." He seems to believe that the bat "coasts" into contact, which is absolutely not true. The bat is accelerating up to contact and decelerates after contact if the ball is hit.

If you swing and miss, the bat does not start to decelerate when it is even with the front foot, or where contact could have been. It doesn't decelerate until the barrel is beyond the front foot. That's why pulled pitches that you hit out front, usually go farther than balls hit to center.

I have Tom Robson's book. Read it 7 years ago.

You might want to get the book "The Scientific Approach to hitting", by Coop DeRenne, PhD. who studied the swing scientifically, as did Chris Yeager, PhD. They both came to similar conclusions, but I like DeRenne's writing and explanations better.

Last edited:
T

theaddition

Of course the bat will start to decelerate when the ball hits it.

My debate was with Pstein's statement that the swing was "done, WELL BEFORE contact." He seems to believe that the bat "coasts" into contact, which is absolutely not true. The bat is accelerating up to contact and decelerates after contact if the ball is hit.

If you swing and miss, the bat does not start to decelerate when it is even with the front foot, or where contact could have been. It doesn't decelerate until the barrel is beyond the front foot. That's why pulled pitches that you hit out front, usually go farther than balls hit to center.

I have Tom Robson's book. Read it 7 years ago.

You might want to get the book "The Scientific Approach to hitting", by Coop DeRenne, PhD. who studied the swing scientifically, as did Chris Yeager, PhD. They both came to similar conclusions, but I like DeRenne's writing and explanations better.

My mis-understanding.
I'm in agreement with you. , and thanks for the book suggestion.
I'm a hitting material junkie so of course I'll get it.
The Robson suggestion was a general recomendation to all who can read.

Jan 13, 2012
Nonsense. Defies scientific fact. The show "Sports Science" proved that the bat continues to accelerate, which is why in HR derby contests, the majority of HR's are to the pull side. The bat has more time to continue to accelerate and reaches max velocity out front.

Why do you think so few hitters can hit it out of the park to the opposite field? It's because the bat hasn't reached max velocity.

I was speaking in terms of feel. People on these boards don't understand the science. You proved that in the "Toe Touch and Heel Plant thread" on BBF. The longer you can accelerate the bat, the better. But, once you hit the ball, you want to stop applying force. You don't try to generate speed THROUGH contact.

Jan 13, 2012
Here on earth.........UNLESS the force that is CAUSING ACCELERATION is constantly applied........Things slow down........Because there are other forces acting on it........Like gravity........And the fluid layer called "air" that creates friction..........

This is why I asked Dom what would happen IF I was able to throw a bat and hit the ball.........What would happen and WHY..........

Without the influence of a force acting on the bat to keep it accelerating, the bat and ball would likely fall to the ground after impact and momentum is disapated..........

For the same reason that the ROCKET CONTINUES TO PUSH on the shuttle until it BURNS OUT...........At which point the shuttle would fall to the ground if the secondary rockets did not fire........

The hitter MUST apply CONSTANT FORCE through contact to keep the barrel accelerating.........OR IT WILL DECELERATE..........Because we are NOT in outer space, OR hitting mis-illustraed..........

That force includes centripedal AND torque forces being applied to the bat......

Is this really a point of contention by you?..........Do you really believe that you STOP APPLYING FORCE after "go" and the barrel "coasts" to contact?............

My gaud man.........Do you really believe that a bullet fired from a gun carries MORE IMPACT velocity then a rocket propelled granade?.............One is decelerating after launch and the other is constantly accelerating after launch THOUGH IMPACT........

Because the bullet is "launched and spent" ALA hitting mis-illustrated..........And the rocket propelled grenade has CONSTANT force acceleration behind it.............ALA the "real world".........

Tie that rocket propelled grenade to a pole providing centripdal force (the hands/body) and watch the acceleration exponentially increase........

Are we now going to have the arguement that one 4 1/2 frame swing is quicker then then the other 4 1/2 frame swing because it's launched and spent vs. accelerated ALL THE WAY TO CONTACT?.........When BOTH reach 75mph at contact?..........In 4 1/2 frames?..........

If so then lets start with the question: Who's buried in Grants Tomb?........... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A very good post by BM on the topic.

May 16, 2010
I was speaking in terms of feel. People on these boards don't understand the science. You proved that in the "Toe Touch and Heel Plant thread" on BBF. The longer you can accelerate the bat, the better. But, once you hit the ball, you want to stop applying force. You don't try to generate speed THROUGH contact.

OK, I get that. But, it's a good idea to think through, so that you don't decelerate, BEFORE contact. You want to think that you are going to accelerate until the bat is pointing at the pitcher, so that you are at your max velocity at whichever point you happen to make contact.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

Oh yea, the new CF5 will be 30/19

You shouldn't be taking this bat into any batting cages. The speed of the ball plus the denser balls will damage the bat. This is usually true of any composite bat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole