DD is right handed batting left handed. Lack of power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2012
You shouldn't be taking this bat into any batting cages. The speed of the ball plus the denser balls will damage the bat. This is usually true of any composite bat.

We are using old game balls and only doing tee work or front toss and some soft toss. I don't think this will damage composite bats. I could be wrong though?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Williams believed that for maximum quickness and power, it is best to have your dominate hand be the top hand. He believed he would have been a better hitter had he been a natural lefty, instead of being a natural righty who hit left handed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Throws R, Bats L .....

Prince Fielder, Adam Dunn, Raul Ibanez, Chase Utley, Custis Granderson, Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer, Hidek Matsui, Joey Votto, Robinson Cano, Hank Blalock, J.D. Drew, Jim Thome, Brian McCann, Nate McLouth, Travis Hafner, Aubrey Huff, A.J. Pierzynski, Ichiro, Alex Gordon, Mat Gamel, Matt Stairs, Eddie Mathews, Mel Ott, Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Thome, Graig Nettles, Duke Snider, Yogi Berra, Larry Walker, Tino Martinez, George Brett, Chuck Klein, Joe Morgan, Larry Doby, Goose Goslin, Earl Averill, Bill Dickey, Enos Slaughter, Wade Boggs, Ty Cobb, Rod Carew, Ted Williams and more.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Throws R, Bats L .....

Prince Fielder, Adam Dunn, Raul Ibanez, Chase Utley, Custis Granderson, Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer, Hidek Matsui, Joey Votto, Robinson Cano, Hank Blalock, J.D. Drew, Jim Thome, Brian McCann, Nate McLouth, Travis Hafner, Aubrey Huff, A.J. Pierzynski, Ichiro, Alex Gordon, Mat Gamel, Matt Stairs, Eddie Mathews, Mel Ott, Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Thome, Graig Nettles, Duke Snider, Yogi Berra, Larry Walker, Tino Martinez, George Brett, Chuck Klein, Joe Morgan, Larry Doby, Goose Goslin, Earl Averill, Bill Dickey, Enos Slaughter, Wade Boggs, Ty Cobb, Rod Carew, Ted Williams and more.

All could be better hitters. Not that they are not great... It is possible that they could be better.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Some of the best Power hitters of all time... Throws L, Hits L or Throws R, Hits R

Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Harmon Killebrew, Mark McGwire, Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr., Sammy Sosa

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Baseball and softball are two different animals. Talk power or a good hitter you get two different opinions. How many of you watch college softball and how it is played? Last night Eastern Michigan against ranked Michigan. 6 of 9 batters were from the left side and only one was a natural lefty. If you are a lefty you have an big advantage in softball, if you have any speed to go along with it.

May 16, 2010
Baseball and softball are two different animals.

BALONEY. Only because coaches of females seem to think that. I played both baseball and fastpitch softball, they're the same game essentially. Played baseball up through HS, and played men's fastpitch from age 25 to 41. Yeah, some minor differences, but you don't have to drastically change your swing, or make all lefties slap, or all fast players become lefty slappers. I did very well in fastpitch, using the same swing I used in baseball.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I watch college softball and how it's played. I'm seeing a sport that is evolving and is increasingly being dominated by the HR ball and the line drive shot in the gap that makes it to the fence.

I have a friend whose DD is playing for a D1 college. His DD was turned around to be a slapper in travel ball. She is 5'-8, solidly built and very athletic. She was a standout offensive player on our HS team. I get to watch her on tv once in a while. She has a respectable 270+ average. Every time I watch her I just think to myself "what a waste of talent". She's fast, but she doesn't have blazing speed like the better slappers. The couple of games that I was able to watch, she was an easy out. Her dad says that if there are runners on base and they need runs, they will almost always pinch hit for her with a power hitter.

She could have been a really good gap to gap line drive doubles type hitter. Now she pretty much slaps the ball into the ground and gets thrown out. Sometimes it gets through and she gets a hit. She could do that as righty though.

It would be interesting to know how many of a slapper's hits are infield hits and how many are hits that make it past or over the infielder's heads. How fast do you have to be to beat out an infield hit in D1 or higher fastpitch? How many girls in your town have that kind of speed?

Mendoza, Cochran and Yee are all lefties who earned their reputations by driving the ball. Brittany Schutte is another lefty power hitter to watch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole