DD got cut

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
We just found out that our DD has been cut from her team. We hadn't been happy with the coaches as you all know, and we thought they would be replaced, but they weren't. DD had a very good tryout but they said there was too much talent at tryouts for her to return. She was crushed when she found out, but I'm sure it was for the best. 9 of the 12 left for 1 reason or another so it wouldn't be the same anyway. I called another team she had been offered a spot on and they said they'd be her new home. She's excited and mad at the same time. Shell be going from A to B but wants to kick their butt when we meet on the field. That could happen because it's a pretty good B team that has been doing great as of late and keeping several core players (none play her position)
The only 2 staying on her old team are the HC & AC daughters!
Still hurts though!

Apr 25, 2010
Everything happens for a reason. Tell her not to sweat it. She was meant to leave that team and spread her wings.

Aug 19, 2011
An A team that explodes because the coaches were jerks and re-forms with totally different players may not be an A team anymore. A good B team that has a great attitude and work ethic and picks up a couple of key players might punch over their weight. We had somewhat similar situations, your catcher and my pitcher. Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm pretty sure if we'd hung around our old team the same thing would have happened to my daughter that happened to yours. Even if the old team kept her next year (they'll have three returning at most), she'd have been stuck in the same "we're doing you a favor by letting you sit on the bench" pigeon hole. Her new team sees her completely differently, and I'm sure yours will, too. So, enjoy the fresh start!

Apr 6, 2012
One of the things you learn if you are around this sport long enough is that there is a lot of unfair, stupid crap that goes around in travel softball. Both sides of the equation, coaches and parents, can be cruel, unethical, stupid, and vindictive. Don't let this event change your focus from what it should be ( the development and well being of your daughter as a player) to something it shouldn't be, ( anger at the old team, a grudge, etc.). As I tell our girls every year, "This is softball. People do things sometimes that upset us or make us angry. We need to stay focused on making ourselves better instead of letting ourselves get sidetracked." I hope your daughter has a great year, learns a lot and enjoys her time. In a few years, this incident will become significant only in the fact that it will be something that makes her stronger.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
One of the things you learn if you are around this sport long enough is that there is a lot of unfair, stupid crap that goes around in travel softball. Both sides of the equation, coaches and parents, can be cruel, unethical, stupid, and vindictive. Don't let this event change your focus from what it should be ( the development and well being of your daughter as a player) to something it shouldn't be, ( anger at the old team, a grudge, etc.). As I tell our girls every year, "This is softball. People do things sometimes that upset us or make us angry. We need to stay focused on making ourselves better instead of letting ourselves get sidetracked." I hope your daughter has a great year, learns a lot and enjoys her time. In a few years, this incident will become significant only in the fact that it will be something that makes her stronger.

Hear, hear!! My dd has been cut 3 years in a row...with no rhyme or reason other than she didn't fit in with their plans. DD has held her head up high and trudged forward. If anything, it makes them stronger and better. And it sounds like it was better in long run anyway. GL to your DD.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
... there is a lot of unfair, stupid crap that goes around in travel softball. Both sides of the equation, coaches and parents, can be cruel, unethical, stupid, and vindictive. Don't let this event change your focus from what it should be ...learn alot and enjoy yourself.

My DD is still in the same organization but will be on the first year 16U again. Her orig. team has a parent who bullied the coaches and other parents all season long. That parent was rewarded for their efforts and got to keep her favorites on the team! That meant my DD was cut along with a poorer player; another parent requesting to be reassigned before the end of the season; and the organization president's daughter complaining to be reassigned as well!!

My DD has gotten tougher and was thrilled that the new coaches had been impressed with her all year and were excited to have her help their team next year - they were also aware of the bullying parent and could not understand why she is being rewarded! The new coaches realize that they may have the better 16U team next year now that My DD and the two other girls who got reassigned will be contributing. If only we could have got the catcher too!!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
If 9 of the 12 players left it sounds like the coaches wanted to start completely over, banking on the team's reputation to draw talent. Don't take it personally - the A team's loss is the B team's gain.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks everyone for the comments. DD will have her first practice with the new team next week and is really excitedly. Unfortunately she will be really late because of HS volleyball but the coach knew prior to the offer. We are good friends with one of the families already and the wife and daughter were screaming for joy in the background when I called to let them know. It was hilarious and nice to get that kind of welcome. Looking forward to the fresh start!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
IMlearning,
Your DD didn't get cut from a team. She tried out for multiple teams if I remember correctly? She didn't get an offer from that team she played on last year. So if she decided not to play with this team this year it would be the same thing in reverse. So get that "cut" out of your and your DD's mind. Now, new team, clean slate time to start new. Time for your DD to prove that this new team made the best decision and the old team made their worst decision of the year. I wish your DD the best this season and keep us posted on her future success.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA