Dante Bichette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
About 10 years ago, in late January, the AAU used to host a world class men's FP tournament at the Disney complex in Orlando where Bichette lives. Somehow someone coaxed him out to give it a try. I saw a game of his there, he was facing Mike Piecknik, a left handed HoF pitcher from British Columbia that threw absolute gas. In the 2 AB's I saw of Bichette, he never fouled a ball off. Afterwards, while standing around having a beer talking about it, he said "I've hit HR's off Randy Johnson, Roger Clemons, etc. but I've never seen anything like that!!!" I don't think he came back the next day.

That story has nothing to do with his hitting techniques or anything, I just thought it was a cool anecdote to share.
Hitting is a pitch is 99% experience. If you've never seen it, you probably won't be able to hit it.

Jul 29, 2013
Absolutely in there game swings all of them are swinging "down to" from a leveraged position..

lgTAhJq.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

Quite different then chopping down with an all back all forward pattern.

p2jZ4n5.gif

knzdEtX.gif
The difference is the backward movement.
...the push against the front leg that pushes the pelvis back and turns it..... and the rearward/upward pull on the handle of the bat via hip extension and scap retraction that creates the torque that turns the barrel, the equal and opposite reaction.... barrel movement.

Jul 29, 2013
I think it is interesting that he has a tee set up when hitting front toss. It doesn't even look like he is tracking the moving ball but there may be frames missing which make it look like that. I think I have an idea about what that setup is trying to accomplish but would be curious to hear other's opinions on it.
Is he using it like Teacherman's "wall"....keeping the hands out and the barrel path vertical?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The difference is the backward movement.
...the push against the front leg that pushes the pelvis back and turns it..... and the rearward/upward pull on the handle of the bat via hip extension and scap retraction that creates the torque that turns the barrel, the equal and opposite reaction.... barrel movement.

Yep both hips are extending against the core contraction. hips extending more visible on off-speed.

ZfgRFqF.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Maybe he just left the tee there from the previous drill... :)

try it. See if you just lEaVe the tee on the plate. or maybe it’s a constraint to stay direct to a certain location. Who knows. But Im pretty sure he just didn’t leave the tee w a ball on it on the plate. LOL.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS, how would you define " a leveraged position "? Does that include anterior tilt and an extended arm from the bottom hand?

Anterior tilt is part of the sequence.. I definitely focus on stretching the core in the s-plane against the positive move towards the pitcher. .. Don't know that I am following extended arm..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13