Daddyball (again)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Some people say it's not how hard you throw, but whether you throw strikes. But, at some point a lot of the hard throwers learn to throw strikes. Or else they quit.

That was my DD. Once she found the strike zone she was always the #1 on the team. The other thing that made her really valuable as a pitcher was she was able to come into a game in any situation and shut teams down.

Jan 23, 2014
The Ego Coach may be a problem I didn't realize our team had. Moving up to 12u and apparently our coaches were asked to join what I consider the premier org in our area. I've heard several versions so I don't know exactly what was happening but I do know that the HC would have had to become an AC-so perhaps that was an issue.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
These teams in the Metro East are springing up everywhere per the OP. That is fine since there are so many local tournaments to be found. However, and don't kid yourself, the quality of ball that is played by these teams is poor at best.

One thing I see a lot in this area is parents that just don't understand the system with regards to advancing levels of play. To be sure, the Metro East has some top talent and they play for a handful of teams. Then, it gets shaky. JMHO!

LetsPlayTwo

LetsPlayTwo
Jul 4, 2014
Ohio
I fully realize there are self serving daddy ball (DB) coaches out there and we can tell horror stories all day. I've seen them too. It's also apparent to me that every family on a team has somewhat different motivations and most are in this to further their and/or DD's interests first - not team, not organization, not other girls. This becomes more obvious as the years go by. The parent-coaches that are often bad-mouthed here in the context of DB have decided to commit a ton of time and effort to further their DD's interests compared to the "drop-off at practice and bitch at games" types (yes, that's a broad generalization to make a point). Unless the daddy-ball behavior is outrageous, these guys should be given some credit for the time they give to 9-11 other girls in addition to DD. Until everyone has lots of $$ for paid coaches in big organizations and a stud DD that can make those teams, parent coaches are going to be a fact of life. Sorry for the rant (its been a long season) and as I said before, I too have seen varying degrees of DB, but if we didn't have Daddys stepping up, DiscussFastpitch.com wouldn't exist and you'd all be heading to a soccer game right now; and your daughter would be coached by some English-as-a-second-language guy from Spain that retired from the professional indoor soccer league.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Well, DD 3 did play soccer in K and 1st grade on a team with boys and girls from her elementary school. That was a daddy ball team as well.
DD 3 didn't like soccer, but she adored Coach Moose. He lived a few blocks away, and I would see him sometimes when we were both out jogging.

So, even soccer depends on parents until you get to the fancy club teams. Those pay the coaches more than what HS coaches get, at least around here.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
What's the problem with this?

That's another team, another 10 spots for kids who want a better opportunity than what they've got. This dad might be a good coach. His daughter might get the experience she needs to put it all together and become really good. ''Throws hard, but not much control'' might become an ace down the road. And if she doesn't, well, she had fun trying.

I don't really have a "problem" with this approach. He may very well be a good coach, and his DD may eventually be a good pitcher. Have been watching her since first year 10U, and they will be first year 16U this year, so I think that window is closing quickly. The intention of my OP was just an observation, that there seems to be teams popping up everywhere in our area. The talent is "watered down" to say the least. Some good organizations in the area, with some very good teams, and then it drops off pretty sharply after that.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't really have a "problem" with this approach. He may very well be a good coach, and his DD may eventually be a good pitcher. Have been watching her since first year 10U, and they will be first year 16U this year, so I think that window is closing quickly. The intention of my OP was just an observation, that there seems to be teams popping up everywhere in our area. The talent is "watered down" to say the least. Some good organizations in the area, with some very good teams, and then it drops off pretty sharply after that.

I hear you, but I just don't see a problem with teams popping up everywhere. Who does that hurt?

Those crummy teams will give opportunities to some crummy players that might become really good players if they can play crummy travel vs. rec ball. I know there is the fear that the talent will be spread out with more teams, but more teams also means more players who might become good and then decide to move up to those stronger teams. I think it's healthy in the long run.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1