Daddy Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
with the large number of folks in the forum, i wonder how you and your DD has handled daddy ball. my DD's teammates who's parent(s) are coaches seem to get a slap on the wrist when they make a mistake but other team members (DD included) gets benched. same with pitching. DD pitches better than HC's dd, but HC's dd gets more mound time, even when she hits and walks batters.

how did you handle it?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We did not say anything but moved on at the end of the year. After a couple of bad choices on my part DD laid down the law. No Moms, No Dads so we found an organization that did not utilize parents in any way. Drive to the field and take you spot on the fence. They give them back at the end of the day. They don't want us anywhere near the dugout.

Dec 19, 2012
The last time I had to deal with daddy ball was when my dd was nine. That guy got run out of the org by the parents, so basically the parents of the team revolted. The next couple of years the parent coach was very fair. Since 13u my dd has played for a team with a non-parent coach. We've been very lucky concerning the daddy ball issue.

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Im glad i have never had all of these problems. I hear it all the time but id say 75% of it is just parents thinking their kid is better than they really are!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We found another team.

This would be my advice as well. If you can find a team that does not have dads or moms as part of the coaching staff, go for it. There is no guarantee that the situation will be any better, but you will have one less thing to worry about. Based on your description, this is not a good fit for your Dd.

Note: I am a dad and the Ac on DDs team. My problem has been just the opposite. I have a history of being harder on my own daughter. I started a similar thread several months ago and received some great input from both sides of the fence.

Dec 19, 2012
I think most dads and some moms are harder on their own kids but that normally does not equate to less playing time. I also think mom coaches are more fair (on average) than dad coaches when it comes to their own kid.

Sep 10, 2013
Tell her to out work the coach's kid. The cream will rise to the top.

she already has outworked HC's dd on the mound. last season, DD would have to come in during bases-loaded walks. she would let a run or two in but got thru the inning. DD would pitch in nasty weather and get the win. all that was noticed by the other non-coaching parents, but HC did nothing.

we'll see what happens this new season.

Sep 10, 2013
This would be my advice as well. If you can find a team that does not have dads or moms as part of the coaching staff, go for it. There is no guarantee that the situation will be any better, but you will have one less thing to worry about. Based on your description, this is not a good fit for your Dd.

Note: I am a dad and the Ac on DDs team. My problem has been just the opposite. I have a history of being harder on my own daughter. I started a similar thread several months ago and received some great input from both sides of the fence.

i applaud you then. in my DD's team, when errors are made by the coach's dd's, all they get is a yell and they stay on the field and continue to make the same stupid mistakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1