Crystl Bustos's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Linear, Rotational, or other.

• Linear

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Rotational

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2010
My daughter has gone through the howard carrier program and truthfully she loves it and it really works for her. She says I hit the ball hard and far and really doesn"t have much trouble getting to most balls.My daughter feels more comfortable at the plate with howards style. I like the program because my daughter likes it and it works for her. From a proud dad Ted Popieski from Pa.

Dec 28, 2008
I can honestly say that I wasn't sure what to expect when we did the Softball Clinic Cruise together in February. I had assisted at hitting clinic with Crystl previously and wasn't 100% convinced. Not that I didn't believe her, because I can tell you she is the most amazing person I've spent time with and I had no reason to doubt her at all. As I shared several PM's I'm a visual,hands on learner. I have to see it live and touch it at times, to understand it and believe it enough to change. The clinic I attended was a larger, less intimate setting, so I didn't get the touchy/feely personal questions opportunities that I needed to be truly convinced. I believed Crystl in my head, because she said it, but in my heart I just wasn't convinced enough to make changes in what I teach to my students.

On more than one occassion during demonstrations on the cruise Howard brought me up because he could see the look of shock on my face as I watched as others were "feeling the differences" and nodding. It just seemed like it couldn't be. They were both more than happy to have any player demonstrate in slow motion, I mean Matrix slow, what they teach, and I could feel HUGE differences from very small, very slight adjustments in players that were just learning as I was. I tried it myself when others weren't around so that I could feel from the batters side and loved it. I mean loved it enough, that I came home and immediately began tweaking what I teach to my students. I mean loved it enough that I'm traveling to Cinci to spend more time to ensure that I'm not missing anything.

As for me I've been convinced, and all I can share is my own personal tale.

May 25, 2010
Isn't it against some rule to talk about Ms. Bustos on the internet?

I don't want to be fined just for reading a thread.

Oct 10, 2010
One thing I have yet to see brought up when the discussion turns to Crystal Bustos: all else being equal, do you think we'd be having these same discussions about the power of her swing if she was 5'2" and 115 lbs.? Would what she does translate, or would she be an excellent table setter?

How big is Jen Yee? She packed a lot of power into her swing and she's definitely nowhere near Crystl's size.

Apr 3, 2011
My wife and kids, “11/12” went on that cruse also, they came back extremely excited about what they had learned from Howard and Crystal. Still every day they are showing me something different that they were taught.

Oct 19, 2009
I can honestly say that I wasn't sure what to expect when we did the Softball Clinic Cruise together in February. I had assisted at hitting clinic with Crystl previously and wasn't 100% convinced. Not that I didn't believe her, because I can tell you she is the most amazing person I've spent time with and I had no reason to doubt her at all. As I shared several PM's I'm a visual,hands on learner. I have to see it live and touch it at times, to understand it and believe it enough to change. The clinic I attended was a larger, less intimate setting, so I didn't get the touchy/feely personal questions opportunities that I needed to be truly convinced. I believed Crystl in my head, because she said it, but in my heart I just wasn't convinced enough to make changes in what I teach to my students.

On more than one occassion during demonstrations on the cruise Howard brought me up because he could see the look of shock on my face as I watched as others were "feeling the differences" and nodding. It just seemed like it couldn't be. They were both more than happy to have any player demonstrate in slow motion, I mean Matrix slow, what they teach, and I could feel HUGE differences from very small, very slight adjustments in players that were just learning as I was. I tried it myself when others weren't around so that I could feel from the batters side and loved it. I mean loved it enough, that I came home and immediately began tweaking what I teach to my students. I mean loved it enough that I'm traveling to Cinci to spend more time to ensure that I'm not missing anything.

As for me I've been convinced, and all I can share is my own personal tale.

My daughter and I didn’t attend the cruse because my daughter was in school, and the middle of basket ball, I sure wished we could have went. We did attend a clinic last February by CB and we loved what she taught my daughter BA improved from 306 to 568 in summer ball, 3 SO all last summer.

CB is a very inspirational person along with a great teacher, what my daughter and I learned from Howard’s post on the forum and CB in person made a big difference in my daughters swing. I saw one person post that CB is a gifted hitter, SHE IS A GIFTED HITTER BE CAUSE OF DEICATION AND HARD WORK!

CB and Howard were every you are THANKS SO MUCH, for all you did to help my kid with her softball. :cool:

Dec 28, 2008
I saw one person post that CB is a gifted hitter, SHE IS A GIFTED HITTER BE CAUSE OF DEICATION AND HARD WORK! QUOTE]

Amen to that. Her belief is that in a game you should expect to get between 85 and 90% of your best effort in practice. So if you practice to be perfect you will be 85-90% of that in the game. If you practice to be average you will get 85-90% of that in the game. Her batting workout before the Gold Medal game in '08 was over 3 hours. She's the best in the world because she practices to be the best in the world.

One of the things I came away with was having my players strive to hit more and more line drives in a row off of a tee. If you hit a popup/ground ball or hit the tee you start over. I set a goal of 10 for our first attempt at this. Initially the girls griped a bit when they'd get to 5 and hit what I called a popup or a ground ball. But as they dug deep to earn it, their focus jumped to an entirely new level. I'd challenged/beg/pleaded with them and parents for years to get their own tees and do more work at home, with some success. After starting this challenge I had half of them go out and finally get a tee. They liked knowing that they could repeat their swing over and over and know what the results would be and are willing to work harder than ever for the next level, 25 in a row. Crystl does 100 each inside low/inside high/outside low/outside high.

Dec 28, 2008
CB and Howard were every you are THANKS SO MUCH, for all you did to help my kid with her softball. :cool:

I know that is all they really care about and will appreciate hearing that they've been able to help your daughter, and thus advance the game.

Oct 19, 2009
I preach tee work every day, I attended a coach’s clinic at Alabama and the coach throws down a tee and said, this is the most important hitting tool we have.

Druer, I thank I saw in one of your post where you were from GA , we are in NW GA we play in the Atlanta area, Dalton and TN.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach