Crystl Bustos's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Linear, Rotational, or other.

• Linear

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Rotational

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It seems that on many of the baseball sites her swing is attacked and some that post on this site and the baseball sites seem to like to attack her swing. Is it Linear or Rotational seems to be the biggest debate. They post pictures of Sue Enquist , Howard Carrier and Mike Candrea out of RVP and say they teach a Linear Swing. I have discussed this with other hitting coaches such as Dave Paetkau and Don Slaught and it's kind of funny the comments they have. It would be interesting to see how the votes would be on a softball site. My vote would be OTHER, as a third option. If you feel one way or the other, post the reason. Hopefully we can keep this from becoming an argument on which way is better.

Jun 13, 2010
As good as she hits who cares? All the debate about this is silly a hit is a hit how it happened is not really important is it?

Jul 26, 2010
Labels are for morons

-W

(if you don't see the humor in that then you're a ninny)

(I have lots of other labels if you still don't get it)

;P

Feb 14, 2010
However you want to categorize it, it's the best the game of softball has ever seen. Results are the only thing that matters.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Labels are for morons

-W

(if you don't see the humor in that then you're a ninny)

(I have lots of other labels if you still don't get it)

;P

Good response.

Personally I like many of Crystl’s game swings and believe they represent good examples. I don’t believe her swings support the vertical forearm action that some here have discussed, but actually add more data against the notion. Despite that, many (not all), of Crystl’s game swings are quite good.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I know W was just kidding, but I kind of agree. I think our culture is too focused on the sound byte and instant gratification. It's easy to label a swing with one word, but that doesn't actually do it justice and can be misleading. I also say "other".

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Cut and paste from posts on a baseball site, since her swing is attacked on those sites. Here are some quotes" Chris O' Leary did a very good job of defending her and Howard Carrier.

The "pure" linear swing is generally: taking the knob straight to the ball, without taking your back elbow to your hip at any point, and extending both your arms at contact,and (generally) flipping your wrists.

A linear swing generally creates a downward or diagonal swing plane (a). The type of swing is usually predetermined the moment your hands leave your shoulder. If they leave too soon (linear), you create a downward swing plane, take your hands to the ball, and disconnect with your hips.

The "typical" rotational swing, among many other things, is taking your back elbow/shoulder to your hip as one of your first moves, while keeping your hands back. Then release your hands and continue to rotate your hips while maintaining an "L" (sometimes called slotted) back elbow until contact. Rotational MLB swings generally produce a slight uppercut swing plane (a).

The linear swing is mostly used in fastpitch softball, and is rarely seen in MLB. However, linear swings are frequently seen and coached (inadvertently via cues) in youth baseball. The rotational swing is used by most (if not all) MLB hitters.

(a) Note that swing planes for extreme inside pitches or extreme high pitches may not vary much for rotational/linear swing types.

------------
Is this definition helpful?

------------
Bustos has a hybrid swing in her BP clips. She starts out rotational for a quarter turn - with elbow/shoulder drop. Then everything goes linear. Her hips don't rotate any further, so her back elbow isn't really slotted, and she pushes her hands (in some clips), and no elbow slot at contact.

1. FFS says:\\ I agree Mud.

Bustos swing is not a product of Howard’s teachings. His Big Zone demonstration has multiple flaws.

Right from the start … he instructs the player to bend at the waist … and there is no further anterior tilt for the remainder of the swing. Contrast that to Bustos who establishes her anterior tilt dynamically while loading/coiling.

It gets worse. Bustos establishes connection … whereas Howard’s hitter bypasses the actions of connection. Howard's hitter has her rear elbow widely displaced from her body … and it isn’t like Howard doesn’t notice … he clearly says “elbows”, and this is the result. Bustos is very different in this regard.

And you are spot on with Bustos turning of the barrel with her hands … something that Howard hasn’t seemed to catch onto quite yet … but fortunately something Cystal knows to do.

So yes, I agree with you when you write … “And please don't tell me that Howard taught her . . . IMO it's fairly obvious from these drills that she learned what she did "in spite of", rather than "because of" him.”

I could post more, but you can see all most all the posts are attacks on her and Howard on the baseball sites, which you don't see the same posting on this site, I wonder why?

Dec 28, 2008
Great conversation starter.

Crystl's style is most assuredly easy to identify. You can spot it a mile away.

It's one of CONFIDENCE. She has the uncommon belief that she will crush anything that comes at her, at any speed, any movement.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Just my 2 cents, but It is interesting that some people do not want you to know who they really are that post? Howard Carrier never did and at least posted what he teaches and shows drills that he and Bustos teach students.

Do you think it may be their ego of they may not actually be as smart as you would have them believe they are.

Most credible instructors do not seem to mind it.....just wondering what others have to say about hiding behind a screen name that would have you believing they are the next reincarnation of TSW.

Makes you wonder when they can never post any actual drills they do as to if they can not demonstrate it or may not actually be able to do it. I see this bunch on many sites that these people know more than those that have played the game like Bustos and Don Slaught, yet they won’t tell you who they coach or how they teach. So just because someone can post advice on the internet doesn’t mean they actually teach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi