Swing examples needed (leg kick)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Overheard a discussion at practice yesterday b/w an instructor and player about the need to eliminate a leg kick from her swing to allow her to get more power. I'm paraphrasing a bit - it included the reasoning of "unlike baseball, girls power their swings with their legs".

A lot of good leg kick discussion/videos here, but nobody pointed out this quote (or paraphrase). I'm not sure it's worth talking to this instructor about hitting.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've always seen it as an effective way to really coil into the inside of the back hip. Coil - stretch while holding the coil - rotate into the release. Similar to a pitch.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Overheard a discussion at practice yesterday b/w an instructor and player about the need to eliminate a leg kick from her swing to allow her to get more power.

That is totally and stupidly a backward and destructive tip.

When you stride to toe touch, you must coil inward (vs outward). Most hitters use a leg kick in an effort to do this.

If you are late swinging at the ball (using a leg kick), then that is a TIMING problem. You would NEVER change your swing TECHNIQUE to fix a timing problem.

Almost every time I have seen a kid eliminate their leg kick, they have less power, since their coil goes away, and they end up simply using their arms to whack at the ball.

May 12, 2016
The higher the kick, the longer the stride etc etc does not = more power. I agree with EF above that it's a timing issue, I completely disagree that eliminating a leg kick, or going no stride = less power. It's all about timing and position.. you can get to a power torqued position on time regardless of how much you kick your leg or no kick at all. I've seen kids increase in power due to eliminating a kick, I've seen increase in power by adding a kick, in both scenarios hitters were able to get to a FYB position on time.

gif (5).gif EDUhq36.gif gif (2).gif

Increase power by moving forward with the midsection into a FYB position, you can see at toe touch/heel plant these hitters are ready to explode. In regards to coiling, I agree, but it's how you do it. I can step forward coiled into heel plant and achieve nothing. Anchor the back foot, use your midsection to move forward(think rear but cheek leading the way), into toe touch/heel plant. Now you are in a power position, leveraging the ground, midsection is torqued and provides good connection between lower and upper body.

JMHO, just a dad who loves the game. I don't instruct, nor do I coach anymore

Attachments

• gif (3).gif
    gif (3).gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
The higher the kick, the longer the stride etc etc does not = more power. I agree with EF above that it's a timing issue, I completely disagree that eliminating a leg kick, or going no stride = less power. It's all about timing and position.. you can get to a power torqued position on time regardless of how much you kick your leg or no kick at all. I've seen kids increase in power due to eliminating a kick, I've seen increase in power by adding a kick, in both scenarios hitters were able to get to a FYB position on time.

View attachment 19299 View attachment 19300 View attachment 19302

Increase power by moving forward with the midsection into a FYB position, you can see at toe touch/heel plant these hitters are ready to explode. In regards to coiling, I agree, but it's how you do it. I can step forward coiled into heel plant and achieve nothing. Anchor the back foot, use your midsection to move forward(think rear but cheek leading the way), into toe touch/heel plant. Now you are in a power position, leveraging the ground, midsection is torqued and provides good connection between lower and upper body.

JMHO, just a dad who loves the game. I don't instruct, nor do I coach anymore

" FYB position" - What does that stand for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom