CrowHopping, Replanting, etc. - Not being called by Umps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
10U "B" Western Nationals (AZ). Placed 2nd.

Worked that tournament. We were instructed to give a warning and then call the IP. For the most part after telling the girls what they were doing they more or less fixed it. I did call one girl 3 times for being out of the lane, but she did fix it and kept her foot in the rest of the game.

Jan 6, 2013
my daughter's 12u team was in a tournament this past weekend. their opponent's pitcher was taking a step, replanting and then pushing off. my daughter's coach went to talk to the ump and this was the umps response:

"95% of all the pitchers do it" so they're not calling it. I guess if they call it then there won't be a tournament, but nevertheless, they need to stick to the rules, otherwise, why have them?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Having just got back from 10U ASA Nationals, I did not see one IP for leaping or crowhopping. While there were some pitchers who technically could have been called for it, it wasn't obvious and the umpires (and coaches) did not focus on it which I applaud them. They did however give an occasional warning and and a few IPs for hands not separated while taking the pitching plate, hands together than separated then together before the pitch, and not pausing to simulate getting a sign from the catcher. Overall, I thought the umpires did a great job of keeping the games moving smoothly and the pitchers pitched within the rules.

RT,

Talked with many blues over the years and they all said the same thing. They consider the 8u and 10u levels as 'The learning years' and they are very rerluctant to call an IP on any pitcher. The last thing they EVER want to do or say is something that will discourage a very young pitcher.

However, at the 12u level, those learning years are over and they WILL enforce the rules. They expect them to be pitching legally by then.

Feb 7, 2013
Worked that tournament. We were instructed to give a warning and then call the IP. For the most part after telling the girls what they were doing they more or less fixed it. I did call one girl 3 times for being out of the lane, but she did fix it and kept her foot in the rest of the game.

I like that approach especially at the younger levels. Explain to them what they are doing wrong with a warning allowing them to make the adjustment. No one wants to win or lose a game on IPs.

And thank you for braving the 110 degree heat and humidity. Overall, was impressed with the umpiring and how the tournament was run.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Having just got back from 10U ASA Nationals, I did not see one IP for leaping or crowhopping. While there were some pitchers who technically could have been called for it, it wasn't obvious and the umpires (and coaches) did not focus on it which I applaud them. They did however give an occasional warning and and a few IPs for hands not separated while taking the pitching plate, hands together than separated then together before the pitch, and not pausing to simulate getting a sign from the catcher. Overall, I thought the umpires did a great job of keeping the games moving smoothly and the pitchers pitched within the rules.

One of the pitchers on my DD's 8U All-Star team struggled with leaping, and got called for it multiple times during Districts - not just warnings. Thankfully, she got herself straightened out for States.
306 (1).jpg

Jun 22, 2008
I like that approach especially at the younger levels. Explain to them what they are doing wrong with a warning allowing them to make the adjustment. No one wants to win or lose a game on IPs.

And thank you for braving the 110 degree heat and humidity. Overall, was impressed with the umpiring and how the tournament was run.

Im glad you enjoyed the tournament. I probably saw your team at some point during the tourney. And yes it was HOT. I live here and it was miserable. Doing bases wasnt so bad, but I was seriously considering going behind the plate with just the facemask. Wearing full gear and being out in the direct sun was on the verge of being unbearable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug