CrowHopping, Replanting, etc. - Not being called by Umps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2011
Well, for the third time in as many tournaments, we've encountered a pitcher who blatantly crow hops or replants. We've called time out - asked the Umps and they still won't call it. Had an ump watching our game tell us that he would have called it for sure.

So, my question is: Is this now a judgement call by umps - if they dont feel that the pitcher is getting an advantage (one girl could barely make it across the plate to begin with) are they overlooking it? I've even got video and pictures that shows the back foot a good 6 inches off of the ground...

Anyone else seeing this become more and more common? The only good thing about it is that they won't wear out their cleats as often as my non-crowhopping daughter! :)

Feb 7, 2013
I can't prove it but a couple of years ago, I think umpires were over aggressive with calling IPs from 8U - WCWS (remember Kenzie Fowler?) and have now throttled back on calling them. Not a scientific sample, but in 6 tournaments this summer, I only saw one IP called for the pivot foot leaving the ground. I saw a few warnings and a couple of IPs for a few other violations though (e.g. while on pitching plate, hands separating and coming back together again while taking the sign). The powers that be might have taken a softened approach to calling IPs?

Softball has become a hitters game again with the bat technology, better hitting instruction, and fitness; I say let them leap like the men. IMO, there is minimal advantage gained in allowing them to leap anyways.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
bisgreat,

This has always been a judgement. The problem is, it is next to impossible to prove.

However, to crow hop, skip, replant, any of those requires the pitcher to do something else that makes it an illegal pitch.

A step is defined as moving a foot forward that causes forward momentum of the body. The rulebook says you are required to take a forward step subsequent to delivery. 'A' forward step. If the pivot foot comes forward first, then the stride foot comes forward of that,,, that is 2 steps and that is not allowed. Illegal pitch.

Dont even try to argue crow hop or replant, you wont win. Argue IP because of 2 steps. THAT,, everyone in the park can see happened.

I have NEVER seen a crow hop arguement won, I HAVE seen the 2 steps arguement won.

In either case, an umpire normally will not make a call like that until a complaint is made.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
We had an USSSA tourney this weekend where a pitcher stepped back off the pitcher's plate 5 inches or so with her non pivot foot on each pitch.

We pointed it out to the base umpire; so he watched her step off the back of the pitcher's plate for the rest of the inning (3 outs and 4 batters). After the inning the base umpire talked to their coach and she covered it with the pitcher.

After being notified, the pitcher still stepped off the pitcher's plate 20% of the time, especially for a fastball, but it was not called.

The weird thing is that after we mentioned it to the base ump, we could see him focusing on the foot positioning of our pitcher. Second time that has happened in two weeks. I really don't think anything nefarious was happening with the ump, but it is a very interesting response.

May 18, 2009
My 8U DD was called for IP for her crow hop. We've been working on it and she self corrected after the IP. Had the head of officiating tell an opposing team that the kids are 8U and he instructs not to call on younger players. Watched a team file a protest at a tournament prior to the start of Sunday morning regarding a pitcher that leaped. They didn't win the complaint.

Dec 7, 2011
Ahhhh, my favorite topic. The fly in the chardonnay called softball.

Skippies skippies everywhere, skippies skippies umps dont care. Skippies to the east, skippies to the west, skippies will get ncaa pitching spots like all the rest. Some of these skippies are real jewels, too bad skippies are NOT IN THE RULES!!!

Jun 1, 2013
Well, for the third time in as many tournaments, we've encountered a pitcher who blatantly crow hops or replants. We've called time out - asked the Umps and they still won't call it. Had an ump watching our game tell us that he would have called it for sure.

So, my question is: Is this now a judgement call by umps - if they dont feel that the pitcher is getting an advantage (one girl could barely make it across the plate to begin with) are they overlooking it? I've even got video and pictures that shows the back foot a good 6 inches off of the ground...

Anyone else seeing this become more and more common? The only good thing about it is that they won't wear out their cleats as often as my non-crowhopping daughter! :)

Common for UTrips umps to describe a hole in front of the rubber that prevents pitcher from dragging. This hole apparently allows them to jump 10", replant, and throw. They had to of been told to say this because several different umps, different parks have this mystery hole that negates the rules. One of these holes showed up at State not too long ago. These aren't "iffy" calls either, they are blatant.

Apr 2, 2013
Meanwhile...in other parts of the world... my DD has a small cone which she is taught to leap over at pitching lessons! These days in NZ/Aus they all seem to be taught to leap, as permissible by ISF rules. Much different to when I was growing up, but seems to be the way of the future here - hopefully she never has to play by ASA rules in the US.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse