Critique DD’s swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is there any way we can download a clip of the side view? I would like to look at a side view frame by frame and possible do side by side anaylsis.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"The rear elbow being the pivot of the swing. Instead of the hands being the pivot point."

Do you have video that clearly illustrates the difference? I would like to understand this better. Thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The problem is...she's not playing tee ball. The ball is moving......Timing...Timing....that's were the proper swing sequence comes into play.
Nobody sees the dropping of the rear shoulder and swinging. The rear elbow being the pivot of the swing. Instead of the hands being the pivot point. Also may be because of the slow pitching she has developed a bad habit of 'swinging for the fences'.
I'd focus on hitting line drives in the game and practice. Home runs are a mistake.....pop ups...fly balls are outs....and fouls are still fouls.

Didn't we agree that the rear forearm was supinating? If so, during that time the top-hand was moving along with the supinating rear forearm ... so what truly is pivoting?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You give you critic......I gave mine. If you think the rear elbow isn't causing a swing issues/flaw then that's fine too.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You give you critic......I gave mine. If you think the rear elbow isn't causing a swing issues/flaw then that's fine too.

My mistake Rd, it was Shawn that acknowledged the supination taking place and wrote the following ...

Isn't that what TM teaches supination of the forearm and abduction (or is it adduction, I'm might be getting my ...ductions mixed up) of the upper arm?

That was in response to a GIF you posted ...

As long as it's the right 'movement'.
tumblr_pac3m8hsCC1usf292o1_400.gif

So maybe I should ask Shawn.

Shawn ... if the rear forearm is supinating, and the top-hand is moving along with the supinating rear forearm, then what is pivoting?

Still believe that the rear elbow isn't a pivoting point in the swing? Then I have bridge in Arizona that I'd like to sell you.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pivot point?

So if the back elbow get in front of (leads) the hands, this is elbow pivot??

I just call it weakness, frailing, or bat drag.

Does using elbow as pivot point lead to bat drag?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pivot point?

So if the back elbow get in front of (leads) the hands, this is elbow pivot??

I just call it weakness, frailing, or bat drag.

Does using elbow as pivot point lead to bat drag?

Is what is being referred to as an elbow pivot really an example of external rotation? If so, what is pivoting? Keep in mind that external rotation, as being demonstrated, is the rotation of the upper rear arm within the rear shoulder socket.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Hand pivot:
tumblr_paqx8aiXnD1usf292o1_400.gif

Elbow pivot:
tumblr_paqxdxwvO01usf292o1_400.gif

I don't have a video/gif that 'clearly' illustrates the difference. It 'clicks' for me.

The difference is the angle of the barrel relative to the forearms. The actual break down is at the wrists angles. Look closely and you will see a collapse of the bottom hand wrist(mostly). It really has nothing to do with the elbows other than trying to put people's focus in the wrong place. IMO of course. Carry on...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The difference is the angle of the barrel relative to the forearms. The actual break down is at the wrists angles. Look closely and you will see a collapse of the bottom hand wrist(mostly). It really has nothing to do with the elbows other than trying to put people's focus in the wrong place. IMO of course. Carry on...

Good stuff TJ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30