Drill Suggestions: too early with swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
You would still do the complete arm circle but they just wouldn't see the release. Therefore, they can only judge the speed of the ball but still have the time to gather. Thus, if they have to sit and wait in their gather on a change up, so be it. The off speed pitches, again so be it. The fastball is straight through. It takes time and repetition but they'll get it eventually. Like I said, they'll hate it but it definitely works.
Thanks for answering, I was wondering the same thing

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
BTW...every drill and tool I use with my team, my hitters I work with or the catchers I work with, all work on several fundamentals at once. So my "Board," works on multiple things at the same time as far as optics training goes. Not only do they need to judge the speed of the ball to initiate their swing, if used properly, you can induce spin to your pitches to get them to recognize various spins of pitches as well as ball tracking. In other words, induce a curveball spin and throw outside. Induce a screwball spin for inside. A cutter spin for inside dropping etc. Granted, they won't break but you can get them to recognize the spins of the pitches and where they'll end up.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
So, DD is a good hitter, but as we ramp up from our COVID hiatus, her timing seems to be too early.

This is a chronic trait in her, to a degree.
Not sure if she just gets amped-up in a game situation or what,
but last few weekends all her ball contact is a few feet out beyond her front foot.
So results are: yanked deep to LF dead ball territory (when hit squarely) , or "sliced" pop-ups to the 1B and shallow RF area (when hit under the ball). Very few K's, but not a lot of solid, fair-territory contact, either.

When we practice and I front toss from half-distance with some speed (48-50mph or so) she lines the majority up the middle, which is what I want to see.
But in games it changes for some reason.

Looking for suggestions for work-out drills we can try to get her feel and perception to allow her to look to make contact a bit deeper.

Thought about some side-toss, where I force the ball deep relative to her position with my toss.
Good idea?

And perhaps re-visiting a concentration on TTB.
Her swing has been a bit knob-to-ball-ish and that also probably contributes to her wanting to make contact too far out in front?
Many times the back thigh is behind the ball at contact on the inside pitch causing the bat to be angled to foul territory . Her sequence may be out of whack.

- Improper Launch Sequence

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Many hitters subconsciously time their swing based off of the pitchers release. I train my hitters to judge the speed of the ball itself and not base their timing off of the pitchers release. I do this by using a tool I came up with called the board. It's basically a 2 foot by 4 foot sheet of 3/4" plywood with an 8"X14" rectangular hole cut out of the middle and it rests, slightly tilted back on a stand I made. The only thing a hitter sees is the ball pop out of the hole and not the hand itself. Vary the speed of the pitches. She'll hate it like my hitters do but every single one will tell you it works and works well. They now base their swing initiation off of the speed of the pitch and are rarely early or late let alone fooled by a change-up.
I would love to see the BOARD in action. Is that possible?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I havent done anything all that complex to fix, but have started pitching each bucket (we typically do a “set” of 20, 4 times in a workout...) at a certain speed for each set. (some slow buckets, some fast) and also varying my distance to the plate.

She is gradually learning to adjust her timing, and results in live games have started to greatly improve. Barrelling the ball much better now.
(Even some hard liners to RF...although, main power is still LF<< >>LC)

We definitely focussed too much on being “quick” by me throwing them in fairly hard at close-range. Probably created this issue.

Variety is the spice of life, as the saying goes...

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020
I would love to see the BOARD in action. Is that possible?
I would also like to see this is action. I would also like to know how you set this up? What's the height, the hole you cut the location and dimensions? How far do you toss the balls threw the hole? Basically the setup.

My daughters timing seems to be off and I think she is timing on the release which is making her swing too early or too late. It's something that popped up several months ago and we can't figure it out. I think it's really getting into her head now. It's frustrating and we are trying to keep her positive so this might be something that can help her thank you

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would also like to see this is action. I would also like to know how you set this up? What's the height, the hole you cut the location and dimensions? How far do you toss the balls threw the hole? Basically the setup.

My daughters timing seems to be off and I think she is timing on the release which is making her swing too early or too late. It's something that popped up several months ago and we can't figure it out. I think it's really getting into her head now. It's frustrating and we are trying to keep her positive so this might be something that can help her thank you
I dont know if I like the idea. Kinda want the batter to "dance with the pitcher" but that being said, I want see it too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45