Critique DD’s swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just because the swing works now doesn't mean it will at the next level. I have seen plenty of girls who has lots of success with mediocre swings at lower levels, and the parents would often rave about how good their kid could hit. Then, they move up (age and/or level of competition), and they struggle. A couple of years ago we had parent pull her DD off our team because we "ruined" her swing. The parent didn't grasp the concept that 10U rec ball and 12U TB are not the same thing.

Build a swing that will continue to be successful as they grow.

Just to add something about different levels. There was a girl with a typical fastpitch swing taught by a sought after instructor. The extension/push swing so many have, muscled up. She hit well enough to play on a very good travel ball team. Hit well in HS. She ended up going to UW (Huskies) where her muscled up extension/push swing hit about .200. Her swing stuck out on TV, you could really see the effort in the swing.

Now I'm not saying your en-jeopardy of taking away a scholarship with poor mechanics. Heck you can learn the aluminum bat push/extend swing and do very well at many levels.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, can you post a GIF of the extension/push swing?
Thanks

I looked and I have her under the team she played for and I'm not sure what number she was anymore. It was about 10 years ago (if not more). I'll look some more as it would be a good swing to look at as far as something that worked at lower levels but not Div 1.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I looked and I have her under the team she played for and I'm not sure what number she was anymore. It was about 10 years ago (if not more). I'll look some more as it would be a good swing to look at as far as something that worked at lower levels but not Div 1.

Mechanics are extremely important, but are not the only factor that separate successful hitters from others. Things such as vision and approach are also extremely important but are not trained nearly as much as mechanics.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Mechanics are extremely important, but are not the only factor that separate successful hitters from others. Things such as vision and approach are also extremely important but are not trained nearly as much as mechanics."

This is so true. And I would include timing which is sorta part of approach.

For example, look at Andrelton Simmons of the LA Angel batting .315 OBP .373, 15 Doubles and 6 HR. None of you hitting gurus would ever teach that swing. Stride too long, swings around his body, doesn't stay over back hip, lunges, and many other variances that are not that of an "elite swing" but he is playing at the highest level and doing quite well. Mechanics are important but they are not absolute.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mechanics are extremely important, but are not the only factor that separate successful hitters from others. Things such as vision and approach are also extremely important but are not trained nearly as much as mechanics.

Lol ... I've seen people instructed to use their vision to the point that they would have been better off without the training.

Relaxed open focus.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lol ... I've seen people instructed to use their vision to the point that they would have been better off without the training.

Relaxed open focus.

There are extremes on both sides of the fence. I have seen hitters with mechanics that have been over trained to the point that they have lost all of their athleticism.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles