Critique DD’s swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
AKA Robotic...

I worry about this with my DD. She is so dang ocd in everything but she is very athletic. I want her to be adjustable and right now she is not. Had a bad game last night at the plate but the pitching was terrible as well (very slow). I feel Like she is not releasing the barrel with her hands. Just swinging it around as RDBass has said.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Timing was way off so swing was way off. Slow pitching is a bitch. Work on timing in the on deck circle. Get your tempo figured out there. I heard someone say "dance with the pitcher". So if it a slow dance- dance slow. Not swing slow!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There are extremes on both sides of the fence. I have seen hitters with mechanics that have been over trained to the point that they have lost all of their athleticism.

Still have folks recommending that 'numbers' (or something similar) be drawn on the ball and for the hitter to shout out the 'number' when they recognize the 'number' on a pitched ball.

Yikes!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Don't know if anyone has said this. There isn't any hip coil forward present which can help with her timing , balance and power to all fields . To me she stays back which inhibits her using the whole field and can make her susceptible to outside and off speed . Hip coil with a forward move will help with her overall good sequence and can help the around hand path . Look at 99 percent of good hitters . They start there forward move from a stance of 70-80 weight back back to go forward. Your DD will need to experiment with how she likes to start . Either back to forward or gather back rhythmically.

Of course resistance is required when going forward with coil. My 2 cents .

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Don't know if anyone has said this. There isn't any hip coil forward present which can help with her timing , balance and power to all fields . To me she stays back which inhibits her using the whole field and can make her susceptible to outside and off speed . Hip coil with a forward move will help with her overall good sequence and can help the around hand path . Look at 99 percent of good hitters . They start there forward move from a stance of 70-80 weight back back to go forward. Your DD will need to experiment with how she likes to start . Either back to forward or gather back rhythmically.

Of course resistance is required when going forward with coil. My 2 cents .

I can agree with that. When she lifts her leg and gets coil she does well, but won’t do it in game. We’ve even proven that it helps her w slower pitching but she still doesn’t do it. Idk if she forgets or just doesn’t feel comfortable with it. It def helps her though.

She studies all her videos that I make For her and “listens” when I show Her others that are doing it correctly. But she doesn’t change at the plate in games...
12.... what a tough year as a dad/coach ...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I can agree with that. When she lifts her leg and gets coil she does well, but won’t do it in game. We’ve even proven that it helps her w slower pitching but she still doesn’t do it. Idk if she forgets or just doesn’t feel comfortable with it. It def helps her though.

She studies all her videos that I make For her and “listens” when I show Her others that are doing it correctly. But she doesn’t change at the plate in games...
12.... what a tough year as a dad/coach ...

Start with front toss . Then progress to machine .

Have DD start from a feet close together position where you basically force her to stride out. Once she gets the hang of it, start tossing outside and off speed in. When her timing gets off... and it will get off. Show her coil so she can control the stride . That should get her at least knowing what benefits are coming her way when she decides to make the changes. When she starts rolling over and popping up in games .You can point to forward by coil as the solution. Young girls are a tough nut to crack ! Good luck!

Ps. Make sure the hands do their job and don't come forward too soon. That can be a pit fall when learning a good forward move .

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She does get into her back hip early, which doesn't have to "look" like getting the weight back/coil. She is just doing it early, loses some of the rhythm of dancing with the pitcher because she does it early.

I can't view the new clips frame by frame, so until then I'll hold off on commenting.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"She is just doing it early, loses some of the rhythm of dancing with the pitcher because she does it early."

My guess is that she is high energy. Quick and impatient. Once the dancing comes together the swing will improve. I bet is, that off the tee she is dynamite.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I bet is, that off the tee she is dynamite.
The problem is...she's not playing tee ball. The ball is moving......Timing...Timing....that's were the proper swing sequence comes into play.
Nobody sees the dropping of the rear shoulder and swinging. The rear elbow being the pivot of the swing. Instead of the hands being the pivot point. Also may be because of the slow pitching she has developed a bad habit of 'swinging for the fences'.
I'd focus on hitting line drives in the game and practice. Home runs are a mistake.....pop ups...fly balls are outs....and fouls are still fouls.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619