critique daughter's pitching 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Locks her elbow swinging back and does not come back straight with her her arm, thereafter she never gets close to her side when coming through with the pitch (she is almost sidearm - I am thoroughly surprised that no one else has mentioned this). Her momentum actually goes backward as she releases the ball. She doesn't drive off of the mound. Her push leg straightens out and she rises up way more than out. She needs a lot of work.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
All is not lost. I have seen a lot worse girls than this young lady. I would tweak one thing at a time, but I would talk about all of them, as I sit and catch her. I believe that I would work on arm circle first. She is off "plane." Also, that bend over her head, I call lassoing. So, as I am catching her and she is missing the target left and right, I am telling her "That was an arm circle problem." She is swimming the glove out so far that it could be pulling her right shoulder, too. I want her directly on a power line, at this point with everything moving in a line.

I would ask her to simplify what she is doing and eliminate the glove slap(s) to the thigh. I would put her "open" against a wall or fence and we would pitch from there. This would do 2 things, it would help correct the arm circle and it would keep her from closing "slamming the door," with her hips.

At some point, we would address the trench she is digging with her left foot, but I would mention it to her, now.

Many girls go all the way through HS ball, pitching with worse mechanics than this young lady. If she is coachable and willing to work in the house at night, she is capable of being very successful.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Screwball, how critical would you be? Tell the parent what they want to hear or lay it out there as you see it? Her weight isn't just back it is going backwards. Why would you want to throw a pitch with momentum going the wrong way?

Jan 27, 2010
Screwball, how critical would you be? Tell the parent what they want to hear or lay it out there as you see it? Her weight isn't just back it is going backwards. Why would you want to throw a pitch with momentum going the wrong way?

It is referred to as a transfer of linear momentum.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I will take this young lady's posture all day long, over most of the bowlers out there. I am thinking of using this video as an example of what I mean, when I keep saying" Stay back" and "Stay tall."

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I will take this young lady's posture all day long, over most of the bowlers out there. I am thinking of using this video as an example of what I mean, when I keep saying" Stay back" and "Stay tall."

Really? She really doesn't get full transfer of her momentum towards home plate. Nor is there a good follow through. And besides, her arm/hand is way far away from her body.

Jan 27, 2010
CoachFP, would you describe how she should transfer her momentum and what the proper follow through should look like? I do agree with her arm/hand being too far from her side.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
The rear view of Tincher pitching does not allow you to see the transfer and follow through that you would see from a slo-mo side view video. It's nearly impossible to tell what posture she has at release and how much forward momentum is follow through. Your description in your own words would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd