critique daughter's pitching 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Is the show it and throw it in the above video correct?

What about ball position throughout pitch?

1038uts.gif

Feb 26, 2012
show it and throw it

[video=dailymotion;xswmb3]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xswmb3_court81812_sport[/video]

I know you can't see the top but she is in the position that you describe and they look similar.

She seems to do the drill ok but reverts back in full windup.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Playaction, When I instruct I like to throw a lot of verbal cues at my students until one triggers an "aha" moment. In trying to get your DD's wrist issue corrected, tell her to think of pulling the ball up(palm down) on the front side and pull the ball down(palm up) on the back side. With the hand too far away from the hip through the release zone tell her she should hear three brushes caused by her upper forearm during the arm circle, as she goes back past her hip, as she goes forward past her hip and as she releases. Wearing loose warm ups helps to hear the brush. Hillhouse has a training device called the "Windmill Trainer" on his web site that reinforces this. Hope this helps.

Jul 14, 2008
[video=dailymotion;xswmb3]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xswmb3_court81812_sport[/video]

I know you can't see the top but she is in the position that you describe and they look similar.

She seems to do the drill ok but reverts back in full windup.

PA, she does not do the drill correctly at all with regard to body position and posture at release and follow through........In fact, the only thing right is the ball position at the top...........

There is absolutely such a thing as throwing TO "sideways"..........Your DD does exactly that......

IF she were my student, the first thing I'd do is lose that rediculous figure 4 posture........It's killing her ability to ALLOW her hips and shoulders to flow naturally toward the target.......A proper figure 4 is a NATURAL result of the rear hip closing slightly as the rear leg drags behind...........Causing the rear leg to drag into the front leg from the angle of the hip line being somewhat closed as compared to the rear leg dragging behind...........

She is SO sideways that the ONLY WAY she can deliver the ball toward the target is with that big giant "kink" in her elbow to get the ball around her sideways body posture..........Her front foot, hips and shoulders are COMPLETELY closed off from the target at release AND follow through.......

Start by opening her up to at least 30 degrees through release........Get rid of the forced figure 4 and let her hips and shoulders flow toward the target in the follow through........She needs a TON of California Walk Through's to train her out of that sideways posture........And when I say walk through's I mean walk through with an extra step AFTER release and balance...........

Even though this clip was cut short, watch this young lady hips and shoulders. And watch how she is actually able to talk a forward step IF she wants to.........I train all my pitchers that if they can't take an extra step forward from a balanced position after release they are TO sideways..........

31508sp.gif

Here's another example of a proper release posture..........Can you see the extra step IF she wanted to?

axmsd1.gif

I'd suggest checking out the model pitchers thread and studying release mechanics........No high level pitcher is that sideways through release..........Except maybe in the most extreme rise ball cases.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish