critique daughter's pitching 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(Hmmm...I could simply rewrite Screwball's post and claim it as my own, but I did that last month. People might catch on...)

Screwby is absolutely right about closing. Your DD looks like she has great potential, but she is losing speed due to the technical error when she closes.

She shouldn't close. She needs to just let the ball go and keep her right foot behind her left foot at and after release.

As to fielding position: It is a waste of time to worry about fielding position with a pitcher. Pitcher's don't use fielding mechanics anyway...she will use reflexes for the line drives up the middle and "scramble and scoop" for bunts. She doesn't have to "circle" or "charge" ground balls, so it is pointless to worry about fielding position.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Screwball did a great analysis, that Ray gave more details on, so I'm not going to talk about the close.

What I see at the very beginning of the pitch is that this pitcher slams her stride leg down and then sits down in the back seat with her weight way behind the pitching rubber. It's ironic that you posted this video next to a picture of Amanda Scarborough and the power drive, because that device and those drills are probably what could help this pitcher the most. Compare your daughter's hip position and center of gravity to Amanda's. While your daughter does do a good drive of finally getting her hips in front of the rubber and loading up the front quad, she wastes a lot of energy standing back up out of the seat she's giving herself. She could save herself a lot of effort and energy (and be able to pitch longer) if she spends some time making her per-motion more efficient.

I don't want to talk about her glove hand swimming, because, again, she isn't using it efficiently. She should be throwing it out in a swinging motion towards the catcher, the ball hand and the glove hand should do this simultaneously, as if she's diving towards the catcher or doing a standing long jump. In the video, the pitcher is shoving her arm out towards the catcher, but mostly keeping it hanging there like the butler that served the turkey in one of those Scary Movie movies. She could get better drive and use less energy if she used all her tools to get the job done.

-W

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
specific video ?

I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. We have a lot to work on. Hopefully when I post a follow up video we will be able to see some progress.

so far:
eliminate overhead windup-wish us luck
better load with right foot straight toward the catcher-no twisting
stay OPEN not closed through release
let arm fly

Could someone post a specific video of an effective windup that is described here? Thanks

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The best DVD is Bill Hillhouse's "Building the House: Mechanics and Fundamentals of Pitching". You can get if from Amazon for $25.00. Buy it now. It is very good and thorough. Bill is a class act and knows his stuff.

You should think seriously about pitching lessons from a good instructor. Your DD has quite a bit of potential.

Jan 27, 2010
I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. We have a lot to work on. Hopefully when I post a follow up video we will be able to see some progress.

so far:
eliminate overhead windup-wish us luck
better load with right foot straight toward the catcher-no twisting
stay closed through release
let arm fly

Could someone post a specific video of an effective windup that is described here? Thanks
Playaction, no one has suggested being closed at release but have suggested to be more open through release. Many elite pitchers have a slight turn on the pivot foot before they drive off the rubber. There is a point where the pivot foot turning bypasses the quad and more push comes from the knee, the calf and the ankle. I don't think your DD pivot is at that point. Relax the arm after release and if it flys, so be it. The over head wind up does use energy but is also practiced by the elite pitchers.(Cat Osterman) I would concentrate on staying open through release.
Is the photo of Amanda Scarborough of her throwing a rise?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Playaction, no one has suggested being closed at release but have suggested to be more open through release. Many elite pitchers have a slight turn on the pivot foot before they drive off the rubber. There is a point where the pivot foot turning bypasses the quad and more push comes from the knee, the calf and the ankle. I don't think your DD pivot is at that point. Relax the arm after release and if it flys, so be it. The over head wind up does use energy but is also practiced by the elite pitchers.(Cat Osterman) I would concentrate on staying open through release.

Thanks for pointing that out. That is my mistake. My daughter and I were discussing it and I still typed closed instead of open. In her K's and circle drills she is always open at release. It sounds like the push foot being straight and being open through release is a good starting point.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I agree. I would definately work on staying open.
The rest is minor and you can find alot of these habits in elite pitchers. You can see a lot of bad habits in most great athletes.
I like what bill Hillhouse says about styles and absolutes. If the style stuff is working let it be. She shouldn't be changing that stuff all the time(which my dd seems to do;(). But thee absolutes have to be there.
My dd is 9 and we are working to keep her foot straight instead of twisting until after she is off the rubber.

Jul 14, 2008
I/R Recoil is NOT Hello Elbow

They are 2 COMPLETELY different animals..........Your DD's finish is just fine........

This is NOT "Hello Elbow" guys.........

339hxmo.gif

Her issue's start with "cocking open" the wrist (Wrist Dorsi-Flexion) and rotating OUTWARD (IE wipe the wall/inversion) early in the upswing which points the ball to the sky before the top (IE inversion) vs. toward the catcher, opening the rear shoulder.........Causing excessive bend in the elbow over the top.......Causing her arm to get stuck behind her..........Causing her to close to the target and play catch-up with her arm swing..........

2qa8itz.gif

Fix the ball position/arm position/swing FIRST..........Or it won't matter how "open" she stays........

Feb 26, 2012
They are 2 COMPLETELY different animals..........Your DD's finish is just fine........

This is NOT "Hello Elbow" guys.........

339hxmo.gif

Her issue's start with "cocking open" the wrist (Wrist Dorsi-Flexion) and rotating OUTWARD (IE wipe the wall/inversion) early in the upswing which points the ball to the sky before the top (IE inversion) vs. toward the catcher, opening the rear shoulder.........Causing excessive bend in the elbow over the top.......Causing her arm to get stuck behind her..........Causing her to close to the target and play catch-up with her arm swing..........

2qa8itz.gif

Fix the ball position/arm position/swing FIRST..........Or it won't matter how "open" she stays........

So keep the ball facing the catcher until she gets to the top and that will prevent so much bend in the elbow? As well as playing catch up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish