Core / Hip Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
core info from miyahira;

Are Ab Crunches Good for your Golf Swing? :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

he's not a plank lover.

substitutes medicine ball for hay bale

Mickey Mantle liked hay bale (more a love hate relationship that motivated him to leave the farm for baseball)

Not a bale of hay but, something most teams have available.....
2efqas1.jpg

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
some of the other videos on tewks AB channel are good for context such as original AHA with pujols, not getting the front foot down early, weight shift in throwing, throw and swing action, running start explanation. Colabello clips also excellent. He emphasizes keeping rear HIP closed (IR ony) as PELVIS opens, then emphasis is on rear hip flexion extension for both throw and swing.

Best source of info is HI. main flaw in tewks swing stuff which I was guilty of as well is carrying over external rotation of back arm from throw to swing which over-involves the arms and moves the hand pivot to a wider/slower elbow pivot.

arms need to be taken out of the swing

May 3, 2014
Yes, tom.guerry - a stable core is very important to throwing as well as hitting.

some of the other videos on tewks AB channel are good for context such as original AHA with pujols, not getting the front foot down early, weight shift in throwing, throw and swing action, running start explanation. Colabello clips also excellent. He emphasizes keeping rear HIP closed (IR ony) as PELVIS opens, then emphasis is on rear hip flexion extension for both throw and swing.

Best source of info is HI. main flaw in tewks swing stuff which I was guilty of as well is carrying over external rotation of back arm from throw to swing which over-involves the arms and moves the hand pivot to a wider/slower elbow pivot.

May 3, 2014
Gutteral Effusion

This is a excerpt from a podcast with Dr Stuart McGill on Venus Williams.

I thought that those guys, that maybe sensational but that’s not why she does it at all. That whole idea of guttural effusion adds stiffness to the core. It’s active expiration. We’ve measured this in spades. It turns on the oblique muscles. It super drives them in that instant, you filled the lungs with air and then that first little expulsion is driven by the abdominal muscles. That adds even more stiffness. Now, when she’s serving the tennis ball, let’s just take the example of the pec major muscle – the pec major goes from the rib cage across the shoulder joints, to the humerus. If we shorten and contract the humerus the arm flexes around and moves. But the ribcage also bends towards the shoulder joint. So that’s an energy leak. That doesn’t help swing the arm around. It causes the ribcage to bend. However, if you can fixate and stiffen the proximal end of the muscle, 100% of the pec activity is expressed on the discal side of the shoulder. In other words, it brings their arm around at a higher velocity. Because a hundred percent of the velocity is on the arm, the ribcage is being prevented from moving. So now we’re getting into real stabilization mechanics.

The more we can stiffen and prevent movement in the core during rapid explosive shoulder and hip movements, it means the legs and the arms move faster. So when she super drives that stiffening mechanism through that yelling, just as she’s letting air out, we’ve measured this, it creates a super stiffness in her core and higher arm velocity. She puts a few more miles an hour on her serve. So that is a form of power breathing and it’s this form of super stiffness that she’s able to create in the core – as many athletes do.

May 3, 2014
External rotation of the arm with an untrained core can be bad for hitting. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

May 3, 2014
IMO - the bucket needs to actually thrown to train properly - but it's a start.

And in the case of this demo - the front hip/leg are too passive. The move is driven entirely from the rear leg. You omit the use of both the anterior and posterior oblique slings by using only one side of your body.

I see hip flexion and extension. Is that what you wish to point out? I believe it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi