Core / Hip Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Also known in the martial arts world as a kiai. Very effective when executed at the precise moment of contact with the ball.

While searching for a gif for another member came across this:

softballphreak comments back then:
I LOVE the kiai. Great swing. Remember to do LOTS of long tee and front toss. Also, work on keeping the head more under control.

May 3, 2014
Kind of like a grip and rip it mentality. Focusing too much on mechanics can sap the athleticism out of a player.

May 3, 2014
Per Fastpitch request to follow up from Mallory's thread

IMO - the rear hip pivot is rear hip extension.
In the case of Cabrera - he is has the quickest rear hip flexion to extension to flexion and finally extension that I see.

Cabrera_062613_combo.gif

He flexes the rear hip with both legs on the ground (both hips flex but I will focus on the rear hip only ((the front hip is equally important))

When he lifts his front leg the rear hip extends. As the front foot starts back down the rear hip flexes and as he approaches contact the rear hip extends for the final oomph. It is one of the quickest stretch shortening cycles I could find. Bautista has more early tempo.

You can see the rear hip action better here with Pujols

Pujols_3view_sync.gif

To be honest I do not teach it like this - I make sure the rear hip pivot includes extension by telling a player that the knee cap should feel like it is drawing inwards without locking the knee out - this creates a nice pivot in the rear hip as the front leg cocks. From there my focus is on the front leg/hip and getting the sequence in shape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877