Drills to Isolate Proper Glute, Hip, Core Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She simply turns her hip until front heel comes up... I don't see the glute movement which you see in this swing and other great swings

She must be gate-swinging/coiling off the back leg. IOW, she is only turning the front hip. Rotate the front and back hip in unison.

May 12, 2016
She must be gate-swinging/coiling off the back leg. IOW, she is only turning the front hip. Rotate the front and back hip in unison.
And this is where my lack of knowledge hurts her. For me it comes easy because I have played many sports throughout my life where proper hip/core engagement is needed. I simply told her to coil/turn front hip, and that's what she's doing... gate-swinging is a nice way of putting it

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In this scenario I am picturing it as 1 hip utilization, hence 1 hinge, just like a gate

The upper and lower ‘turning’ together. No adjustability mechanically with massive time restraints. Basically momentum based.

With some swing models, exclusively from the back leg. Timing is constantly being sought after. A lot of guessing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The halfway home drill can create a proper sequence. But as with any drill the player/instructor need to know what they are after mechanically.

A good negative move into a coil while maintaining ground pressure with an upper body load is the sequence.

The pvc pipe into the ground like J Stone advocates can help a player feel a good forward move into swing launch as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802