Drills to Isolate Proper Glute, Hip, Core Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Turn your hip until the front heel comes up. That's it.
I guess that is it.. I was making it more complicated than necessary.. however when reviewing what you just said with GIF that makes sense.

One thing I am a little hesitant about with this swing.. it seems so simple and compact and easy to duplicate.. I am just wondering if it's too easy to really understand/feel how to use the legs, hips, core etc

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I, personally, like to see a little more "forward" with the FBC move.

Keying on her hips (or belt line) she is pretty stationary.
I'd be worried that a spinning-in-place, or "around" swing might result if not careful.

Also, her hands position at launch is so close to mid-line,
makes it tougher to stave off a push swing, and have good TTB action.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
You’ve got to be ridiculously strong to hit successfully performing these movement patterns. I wouldn’t teach to anyone younger than 14U.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think creating hip stabilization, is a function of loading into the back heel. There is a vertical load to it and not just getting the weight back. Your loading into the ground and the ground pushes back, creating a very stable hip in the process. You are loading back as well don't get me wrong, but the vertical loading is also important.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The back knee starts over the toes, and as you load both vertically/back into the leg/hip the knee straightens a little and is now over the back heel. Then the knee flexes again to start the swing. As mentioned a correct hip/pelvis load should create this action, also a relaxed body and is getting ready (cat ready to pounce) to swing will help create the action as well.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
The back knee starts over the toes, and as you load both vertically/back into the leg/hip the knee straightens a little and is now over the back heel. Then the knee flexes again to start the swing. As mentioned a correct hip/pelvis load should create this action, also a relaxed body the is getting ready to swing will help create the action as well.

giphy.gif
The pull back of the back elbow. Check out the knob on the last portion of this clip

Aug 20, 2017
If the top half resists the firing of the lower half you will be in sequence. It’s hard to teach the upper body to continuously resist the lower body firing with proper timing

May 12, 2016
You’ve got to be ridiculously strong to hit successfully performing these movement patterns. I wouldn’t teach to anyone younger than 14U.
I disagree. I think this simple pattern that involves less big movements, but still gets to a classic power position. What difference does it make what she does prior to this position? You don't need a big leg kick and a lot of back and front. You don't think this is a powerful position for anybody any age? I think this is something you teach to any batter. If they can reproduce this movement, then they will be engaging the right muscles to generate a lot of power and suddenness without a lot of wasted movement.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Turn your hip until the front heel comes up. That's it.
I feel my DD reproduces this movement but it doesn't result in the core action you see in this swing and a lot of HL swings. She simply turns her hip until front heel comes up... I don't see the glute movement which you see in this swing and other great swings

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13