Core / Hip Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Placing an internal focus on form first (developing core strength for spinal stability) is the first step IMO. Once an athlete has attained a certain degree of proficiency of core strength/stability (using the plank time thresholds using proper form for example) you can change to a pure external focus (long tossing). Just sending players out there to throw the ball as far as they can can do just as harm as good.

Working your hands in the rice bucket - wash hands good. Actually is a very good exercise for grip strength.

If you time to get in a car and go the farm and throw hay bales (better make sure the farm owner doesn't mind) you have time to do a few exercises.

Planks can be done as a warmup prior to practice or a hitting lesson. Gymnasts do it all the time.

Planks have a neural benefit as well. It helps train the neural pathways of firing the glutes first.

Good read here on perfect planks

http://rkcblog.dragondoor.com/perfect-plank/

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
No problem - I was kidding about actually pushing cars. That is a terrible story, though. Push sleds instead. As tom.guerry might write, "push sleds good, cars bad." "Push hay bales better."

Buttermaker, I am enjoying reading some of your contributions. However, I have to make a post on this one with the car. I had a young man who pitched for me and had an exceptional will to win. He was willing to always do more. He was told that pushing a car was beneficial and so, after practice at his JUCO, (went there because scouts told him he'd be drafted earlier) he went to push a car as instructed by his coach. He slipped, the car rolled back on him and ruined his life. I am not a fan of pushing cars and so had to post this. Again, please don't take this as an affront. I like reading your stuff as it isn't the same as being put out there.

May 3, 2014
Here is another great core strengthening movement

Single arm dumb bell bench press. Position yourself half on the bench so the half in the air is the arm you are using to press. Good form so your unsupported side does not sag.

[video=youtube_share;bTMWGBPTSCY]http://youtu.be/bTMWGBPTSCY[/video]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi