Core / Hip Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks - I worry less about the rotation of the hips and more about their ability to flex/extend. Yes, rotation is happening - but the power comes from the extension.

I agree ... hip rotation is most efficient when it is resisted.

When I have a hitter that struggles with the arms 'becoming' extended post contact, one of the areas I look at is in the extension of the hips.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes. In the first few frames you are seeing the anterior oblique sling of the front adductors of the upper leg to the rear pectoral lengthens. That sling then shortens back to normal - rotation is blurring the look.

Another point is that the rear hip extends first as part of the rear hip pivot - it then flexes as the anterior oblique sling lengthens and then extends again going into contact.

I may be looking at this incorrectly.

I'm assuming that this guy is performing a demonstration as a left-handed hitter (golfer). See how the front-side (right peck to right hip) becomes contracted .... was expecting this to become stretched.

10nus5z.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
TDS flipped the gif. He was doing this RH. It was flipped to compare to Bonds

The sports guy was just illustrating how the external obliques on one side and the internal obliques on the other side are linked. And in Rory's case - his core is so tight that when that sling contracted it reverses his hip rotation. Which ends up slinging the arms even faster.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The reversal shown takes place during the release process, in which lower body resistance is still intact, and so the hips can be seen to reverse slightly … only to resume the earlier rotational direction with the follow-through action of the club.

2imbcwm.gif

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
efficient momentum transfer with reactive torque of the hips requires a significant contribution from soft tissue elasticity.

as for building core, most kids don't have the time or interest. throwing and swinging a lot is about all there is time for.

how do swing and throw motions resemble/differ from one another, a key point ? long toss good.

if you have more time this time of year, head for the local pumpkin patch and throw a lot of hay bales. then go home and work your hands in the rice bucket while you watch the AL+NLCS's

May 3, 2014
Long toss good? Is that cavemen speak?

efficient momentum transfer with reactive torque of the hips requires a significant contribution from soft tissue elasticity.

as for building core, most kids don't have the time or interest. throwing and swinging a lot is about all there is time for.

how do swing and throw motions resemble/differ from one another, a key point ? long toss good.

if you have more time this time of year, head for the local pumpkin patch and throw a lot of hay bales. then go home and work your hands in the rice bucket while you watch the AL+NLCS's

May 3, 2014
Kind of looks like he is pulsing his core going into contact, doesn't it? He probably threw a lot of hay bales as kid.

Thanks for the gif, 5.

The reversal shown takes place during the release process, in which lower body resistance is still intact, and so the hips can be seen to reverse slightly … only to resume the earlier rotational direction with the follow-through action of the club.

2imbcwm.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Kind of looks like he is pulsing his core going into contact, doesn't it? He probably threw a lot of hay bales as kid.

Thanks for the gif, 5.

2imbcwm.gif

I suppose it could look like he was pulsing his core. I use a slightly different non-technical term while hitting. The word I use is "oomph". I'll ask a hitter ... Where's the oomph? Give me the oomph. You can grunt at contact if you need to ... oomph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi