Are we being naive to consider staying? Long - sorry.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
IT's not really sounding like their is a decision here...keep doing what you are doing. You just sound like you are trying to convince yourself, be convinced don't mess with the good thing

Apr 26, 2015
DD wrote out her pros and cons and decided the only pro for changing teams would be that her HS coach would not ride her anymore - and for her that was not a compelling enough reason to leave...

But I always have to over think everything. I don't want to hurt DD's chances of getting into a good school, but I also know there is more than one route to college. Sigh.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Tough decision....maybe/maybe not. You are putting it mildly (and I know from first hand experience) when you say they are a "darn good little team"! Your current team is solid and extremely well coached, obviously the chemistry amongst the players and the coaches is very strong. Obviously you are taking that into consideration and it is very important IMHO and it is something that these days is overlooked by way too many. The reputation of "crazy" for the other coach I do not have first hand knowledge of but have heard it expressed often, very obvious she knows the game though and her track record certainly speaks for itself when it comes to W/L's. The burnout and turnover is something to be concerned with though, everyone handles it differently.

We felt the wrath of a HS Coach a couple years back when we said "no thanks" to her Travel team and stayed where we were and sadly we are still paying a price for that (that's a whole 'nother story that i will not go in to). Seems like you are working through and I'm sure you'll make the right decision...your DD is a fantastic player (impressed both of my girls this year!) and will be a valued asset wherever she ends up! Good luck!!

Apr 26, 2015
Tough decision....maybe/maybe not. You are putting it mildly (and I know from first hand experience) when you say they are a "darn good little team"! Your current team is solid and extremely well coached, obviously the chemistry amongst the players and the coaches is very strong. Obviously you are taking that into consideration and it is very important IMHO and it is something that these days is overlooked by way too many. The reputation of "crazy" for the other coach I do not have first hand knowledge of but have heard it expressed often, very obvious she knows the game though and her track record certainly speaks for itself when it comes to W/L's. The burnout and turnover is something to be concerned with though, everyone handles it differently.

We felt the wrath of a HS Coach a couple years back when we said "no thanks" to her Travel team and stayed where we were and sadly we are still paying a price for that (that's a whole 'nother story that i will not go in to). Seems like you are working through and I'm sure you'll make the right decision...your DD is a fantastic player (impressed both of my girls this year!) and will be a valued asset wherever she ends up! Good luck!!

Ah thanks! You’re being very gracious - DD has definitely played better games! But her team took care of business the second time around.

Your DD’s were awesome! Both of them! Offensively and defensively!

It makes me mad that some coaches take out their issues on the kids. So not fair to your girls what they went thru.

The HS HC wouldn’t be the other coach we would go to - it would be the old AC for the school who coaches in the same org as the HS HC. Clear as mud? But he is known to be as crazy as she is! Great pair they were!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
Some back story. DD started playing for her current team 2 years ago after a very rocky 1st 4 years of TB. Her new coach was amazing. She has learned so much and grown so much as a player and teammate. The team as a whole struggled last year but she wanted to stay because she liked the girls. They have become a pretty darn good little team. They are currently 14A but play all 16s and can most definitely hold their own. When she first joined her team the coach recognized that skill wise she was capable of playing with his older team and she filled in with them on several occasions and would have moved to that team but they disbanded. But like I said - her team surprised us all and has become a very good team. They have asked for a commitment for next year already. The team will be 16A and are moving to a big name org (which really is not a game changer for us either way) and her coach is committed to playing an exposure tourney or two this year in addition to putting the team in competitive tourneys here - not easy wins. All the current players are returning and they’ve added one more good player. Great families, great girls, good coaching. Nothing broke...so don’t look to fix it right?

Well - DD’s HS coach is a big deal. She has a DD who played in the SEC and was very successful. DD was the ONLY freshman to play varsity with all juniors and seniors last year. For whatever reason the HS coach loves DD. She begged for her to switch teams (to her - the coach’s team) all last year and DD did pick up with them a couple times. This coach coaches for a big name .org that has a lot of college connections. She is convinced DD can go far. I’m pretty clueless - I mean she’s good - but is she THAT good? IDK? The team DD would go to will not be coached by the HS coach (which we are happy about because we like to keep the 2 separate) but rather by the old HS AC who knows DD From last year. He will have a 16A team (all moving from 14A teams - so similar to DD’s current team).

Anyway - our instincts tell us to stay with her current team - but the HS coach is putting SO much pressure on DD telling her that her org is the best way to get to a good school. That DD needs to match her academics (very good) and her softball skills. I know the burden is on us to contact coaches and get DD to camps. We live in an area where softball is watered down. When DD went to play in some big exposure tourneys last year she got so excited...she definitely wants to continue to play after HS.

So...are we dumb to not make the jump? Are we out of time? (She is a rising sophomore).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like your in a good position with current TB team. I would stay right where you are. Your DD is happy and improving her skills with good likable coaches. What more is there? I would tell HS coach you aporeciate her kind words and her support/faith in your DD. I would tell her your happy where you are with current TB team and you would like to continue guesting with her organization if possible. Would appreciate any help getting your daughter noticed/recruited but she needs to back off on trying to poach her permanently to her TB organization.

Nov 29, 2009
The vibe I'm getting from your posts is you do not trust the HS coach. Whose to say it's not your DD sitting when she brings on guest players. It sounds like she has no problem changing players when she thinks she has the next-best-thing. The erratic behavior would have me worried as well.

You say you don't know how good your DD is. If she was an absolute stud you'd know. Your hedging makes me believe she's a strong player, but your not sure how strong.

Going by what you've posted I would have to advise to stay with the team she's on.

Mar 7, 2016
Ok - some more info. In our state DD's HC has an um "reputation" for being crazy. And she is. But she also knows the game. I wrote a thread a while back about how she pulled DD out mid at bat for missing a squeeze when we were up 13-1. She also refused to let another player go thru the "good game line" after she didn't run out a bunt. She is intense. I would guess about half the girls who play for her in HS do not finish playing SB in HS because they can't handle the HC. This coach has won 7 state championships and has gone to state in all but 2 of her 18 years of coaching. We did make a conscious decision last year to not play TB for her because we wanted to keep HS and TB separate. If something goes south on one team it screws up the other. Just sayin'.

If you dont know the answer after typing this Im not sure anyone on here will be able to sway you one way or another. If this HC is crazy enough to pull you mid at bat up that much whats to stop her from limiting playing time when your other sports schedules interfere with tournaments. Or recruiting a ton of girls each weekend.

On the flip side if you say no she sounds crazy enough to take it personally for school ball...

I would stay where you are and tell this HC you will pickup on off weekends (esp showcase events).... best of both worlds and hopefully doesnt send her into a "pulled DD out mid at bat for missing a squeeze when we were up 13-1" rage...

May 4, 2016
East Coast
The HS AC is known to be "crazy" but he always has good teams. He gets thrown out of games frequently.

Whether this person fields good teams or not, is this the person you want serving as a role model for a young lady? They will be with your daughter for 10-20 hours per week teaching her to mimic their behavior and punishing her if she doesn't toe the line...

I understand all the folks here on DFP super excited about the path to college and playing on the strongest team possible, but I'm more worried about turning my '05 girl into a fully functioning adult that knows right from wrong. I'm fairly certain that a Coach that gets thrown out of games frequently does not know right from wrong and cannot teach proper respect for authority (aka the guys in blue).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi