Are we being naive to consider staying? Long - sorry.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Whether this person fields good teams or not, is this the person you want serving as a role model for a young lady? They will be with your daughter for 10-20 hours per week teaching her to mimic their behavior and punishing her if she doesn't toe the line...

I understand all the folks here on DFP super excited about the path to college and playing on the strongest team possible, but I'm more worried about turning my '05 girl into a fully functioning adult that knows right from wrong. I'm fairly certain that a Coach that gets thrown out of games frequently does not know right from wrong and cannot teach proper respect for authority (aka the guys in blue).

We see way too much bad behavior excused with "He/she gets the Ws though." Win at all costs is not a lesson I ever wanted my kids to learn.

Apr 26, 2015
These over the top behaviors are exactly why our instincts tell us to stay where we are. Whether we like it or not DD has to deal with that behavior in HS if she wants to play, but during TB season I would like her to be surrounded by people who don’t behave like that.

Now to address something earlier...I guess I don’t view DD as a “stud” but maybe that’s because she doesn’t fit the stereotype. She doesn’t hit bombs. That’s not her game. She is a slapper/contact hitter who has a knack for finding the gaps and is a very good, aggressive baserunner. She is good at reading the defense and putting the ball where she wants it - she can bunt, slap and hit away and has hit the fence on several occasions but will never be that 4 hole hitter that is generally considered the stud ball player. She has a great OBP and leads her team in stolen bases. But when everyone is always focused on big hitters that’s where I get caught up thinking “is she that good?”. Her entire team can HIT the ball - in fact she is the only one who hasn’t put one over. She is also not a stud SS. She’s a lefty so she’s “just” an OFer (and back up catcher since her knees say “no”). She has made some catches that have me in awe, made some on the money throws home and robbed many people of HRs, but again - rarely is CF the team stud. So - it will always be hard for me to view her as “that good” when her game is different. She won’t be appealing to all college coaches - she is probably more of a niche player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
These over the top behaviors are exactly why our instincts tell us to stay where we are. Whether we like it or not DD has to deal with that behavior in HS if she wants to play, but during TB season I would like her to be surrounded by people who don’t behave like that.

Now to address something earlier...I guess I don’t view DD as a “stud” but maybe that’s because she doesn’t fit the stereotype. She doesn’t hit bombs. That’s not her game. She is a slapper/contact hitter who has a knack for finding the gaps and is a very good, aggressive baserunner. She is good at reading the defense and putting the ball where she wants it - she can bunt, slap and hit away and has hit the fence on several occasions but will never be that 4 hole hitter that is generally considered the stud ball player. She has a great OBP and leads her team in stolen bases. But when everyone is always focused on big hitters that’s where I get caught up thinking “is she that good?”. Her entire team can HIT the ball - in fact she is the only one who hasn’t put one over. She is also not a stud SS. She’s a lefty so she’s “just” an OFer (and back up catcher since her knees say “no”). She has made some catches that have me in awe, made some on the money throws home and robbed many people of HRs, but again - rarely is CF the team stud. So - it will always be hard for me to view her as “that good” when her game is different. She won’t be appealing to all college coaches - she is probably more of a niche player?

Did you watch the WCWS? There were plenty of great catches in the OF. Believe me having an outstanding OF will get her noticed. There is no "just" an OF on any competitive team. Our "stud" player is also a slapper, no need to hit bombs when your OBP is .680 :)

Jul 29, 2016
Your daughter doesn't want to move. The current TB team is improving. You like the families and other players. HS coach and assistant are crazy.

Seems like your decision should be made with that calculus. Just tell the HS coach that your daughter is committed to her current team.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Sounds like a "stud" to me. The people that think a stud has to hit bombs every at bat are the same people that think a pitcher needs to throw 70 to be effective. Hitting bombs is great, but in my book, the winning team is the team that scores the most runs. I don't care how those runs are scored. Just make sure you have more than the other team.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't like the HC "putting pressure on her." Give me a break. Grown women badgering a 15 year old girl is just wrong. She has got enough on her plate getting good grades and practicing her skills while still being socially balanced. If HSHC wanted to invite your daughter to join her team it should be done thru the parents.

We just had a situation where a "BIG name organization" 12u coach informed a player via text message that she is no longer needed on the team. I mean how ignorant can one be?
And when the head of the organization is made aware of what happened, he does nothing. These big name orgs. have all these platitudes and catchy team mottos but do nothing to enforce them. There is no integrity. The almighty dollar rules.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We just had a situation where a "BIG name organization" 12u coach informed a player via text message that she is no longer needed on the team. I mean how ignorant can one be?
And when the head of the organization is made aware of what happened, he does nothing. These big name orgs. have all these platitudes and catchy team mottos but do nothing to enforce them. There is no integrity. The almighty dollar rules.

This is off the OP, and while I don’t agree with how this coach approached the situation, I knew at some point this would come into play. On another thread I asked the same thing about a player leaving the team mid season because of playing time and has a better opportunity elsewhere. Everybody says you have to do what’s best for your DD, but when a coach does it to do what’s best for the team, he has no integrity.
Why is it ok for a player, but not a coach?

May 6, 2015
This is off the OP, and while I don’t agree with how this coach approached the situation, I knew at some point this would come into play. On another thread I asked the same thing about a player leaving the team mid season because of playing time and has a better opportunity elsewhere. Everybody says you have to do what’s best for your DD, but when a coach does it to do what’s best for the team, he has no integrity.
Why is it ok for a player, but not a coach?

because the game ultimately is for/about the girls, not the coach. if becomes about the coach, they should quit. and the one talking about leaving in mid season was in a difficult bind, not wanting a real opportunity (since they knew they were leaving anyway) to escape them.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
because the game ultimately is for/about the girls, not the coach. if becomes about the coach, they should quit. and the one talking about leaving in mid season was in a difficult bind, not wanting a real opportunity (since they knew they were leaving anyway) to escape them.

Let me preface this with I don’t agree and not defending this coach. What do you mean being about the coach? I mean depending upon the team, isn’t it the coaches job to put the best team they can on the field? Not arguing at all, I just want to get a feeling or definition of those statements about the game isn’t about the coach?
By the way, we have never cut a player mid season, we haven’t invited players back but never mid season. Alternatively we have had players leave mid season for greener pastures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi