Are we being naive to consider staying? Long - sorry.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is off the OP, and while I don’t agree with how this coach approached the situation, I knew at some point this would come into play. On another thread I asked the same thing about a player leaving the team mid season because of playing time and has a better opportunity elsewhere. Everybody says you have to do what’s best for your DD, but when a coach does it to do what’s best for the team, he has no integrity.
Why is it ok for a player, but not a coach?

Personally I have two issues with the situation stated by @ Rolling Hard.

1) As you have stated in another post, I have never cut a player mid-season. I chose this player to be on my team for the season, so unless something egregious occurred, that player will remain part of the team until the end of the season. As you stated, I may not ask them back for the following season.
2) Doing this by text just seems gutless to me. If I am going to cut a player for any reason, you can bet I am going to do it face to face. And depending on the age, the parents will be present as well. Doing it by text is bush league.

May 6, 2015
Let me preface this with I don’t agree and not defending this coach. What do you mean being about the coach? I mean depending upon the team, isn’t it the coaches job to put the best team they can on the field? Not arguing at all, I just want to get a feeling or definition of those statements about the game isn’t about the coach?
By the way, we have never cut a player mid season, we haven’t invited players back but never mid season. Alternatively we have had players leave mid season for greener pastures.
coaches should be trying to develop players and the team in general, unless this is some really significant title on the line (states, nationals, etc.), and for the latter, yes, try to put best team on the field with the pieces you have. but a coach should never discourage a girl from an opportunity just because it is inconvenient for them. if they know they are leaving anyway, I think telling coach, telling them you are jumping on this opportunity, but that you will still play for him when you can, is the right thing to do. will the coach hold her spot after season until they exhaust all other chances, probably not.

Jul 14, 2018
Personally I have two issues with the situation stated by @ Rolling Hard.

1) As you have stated in another post, I have never cut a player mid-season. I chose this player to be on my team for the season, so unless something egregious occurred, that player will remain part of the team until the end of the season. As you stated, I may not ask them back for the following season.

The biggest difference is that the coach has the option of not putting a player on the field, if you're the player who doesn't leave the dugout, you really have no recourse. Yes, a player can work hard and impress the coach and earn some playing time, but a lack of playing time generally indicates that there are better options on the team and there may be nothing a player can do to change that. Sometimes, the other SS is just better.

It's really not a big problem for a coach who has an eager player that can't crack the lineup -- they can still participate in practice and push the starter to be their best. But the player who busts their butt and never gets to play is just watching the calendar pages drift away.

I've seen girls get cut midseason, but as FP26 said, it's after something egregious occurs, usually by the parents not the player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi