Commit then say no??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
At what age do you make offers to the players and not the parents? Doesn't the buck stop with the parents? Maybe present the offer to both?

IDK I'm asking.

I coach at 11U and DD is at 14U....
AT 11U our offer goes to the parents and they have some time for questions or to deliberate.

I'm old fashioned I guess....I want a handshake and/or some conversation with the coach(es) before.

College level maybe its just the players? IDK Parents are probably still putting up the cash though right?

Aug 21, 2020
At what age do you make offers to the players and not the parents? Doesn't the buck stop with the parents? Maybe present the offer to both?

NAL, but if a minor child signed anything resembling a contract/commitment without a parent/guardian signature I would think it would be invalid.

For my DD’s move to 14U, the coach gave her the contract, but talked to both of us about it. She specifically asked if there were adult/parent questions I had when DD went to get her stuff and was out of earshot. That system worked out well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
I agree with others, OP was overly optimistic about all of this. The other missing part is you should ask for a deposit to confirm their spot. I have never had someone pay a deposit and then change their mind.

You don't have a player until you have that deposit/first payment.

Nov 13, 2020
I commend your efforts for wanting to start up a team… and basically what others have eluded- throw honesty, earnestness and good intentions out the door! This is travel - the greater good is forgotten. It’s a dog eat dog world in travel sports!

May 23, 2015
Thousands of teams and thousands of players. No need to get upset about anything. Everything happens for a reason

Aug 31, 2020
From a parent who technically just committed and de-committed from a club this past week, I'll give our perspective. My daughter just joined a 12u program last season which was her first year of travel. The club was brand new so we took the season to understand what we were getting into and get the lay of the travel ball world in our area. The 12u coach lacked a bit of communication about the upcoming season and we, along with other parents were left guessing if there'd even be a team to join. Once we were told the team would move to 14u we gave a soft verbal commitment in passing not really thinking everything through. Once we had a week to really talk about our daughter's travel future it was apparent she wanted to move to a better more established program to play with more skilled teammates. We realized every season we may be left guessing if she even has a team to move up to so the decision was made to leave. I feel horrible rescinding our verbal agreement but in the end, I have to do what's best for my daughter.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
From a parent who technically just committed and de-committed from a club this past week, I'll give our perspective. My daughter just joined a 12u program last season which was her first year of travel. The club was brand new so we took the season to understand what we were getting into and get the lay of the travel ball world in our area. The 12u coach lacked a bit of communication about the upcoming season and we, along with other parents were left guessing if there'd even be a team to join. Once we were told the team would move to 14u we gave a soft verbal commitment in passing not really thinking everything through. Once we had a week to really talk about our daughter's travel future it was apparent she wanted to move to a better more established program to play with more skilled teammates. We realized every season we may be left guessing if she even has a team to move up to so the decision was made to leave. I feel horrible rescinding our verbal agreement but in the end, I have to do what's best for my daughter.
Coach lacked a bit of communication...
But still you made a
Soft verbal commiment not thinking everything through...
once you had a week...changed your mind.

Pretty much the conundrum/issue.

If people are uncertain.
👉Dont make a commitment

Usually people make this
Commitment
TO HOLD A PLACE FOR THEIR KID.
regardless if
THEY ARE STILL THINKING AND PLANNING OTHER THINGS.

no other excuse/reason.
People do this for one reason.
A SPOT

Aug 31, 2020
Coach lacked a bit of communication...
But still you made a
Soft verbal commiment not thinking everything through...
once you had a week...changed your mind.

Pretty much the conundrum/issue.

If people are uncertain.
👉Dont make a commitment

Usually people make this
Commitment
TO HOLD A PLACE FOR THEIR KID.
regardless if
THEY ARE STILL THINKING AND PLANNING OTHER THINGS.

no other excuse/reason.
People do this for one reason.
A SPOT
You're totally right and I agree...and feel terrible about it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs