Commit then say no??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Right..people do all kinds of inexcusable things all the time. The question is how does one limit their liability with this in mind..and others have made good points towards this cause. Asking for a yes/no in a group setting is just asking for trouble.
What are the statistics on integrity?

While in this op's post he offered up immediately taking an entire team of players.
Perhaps he saw something good in the group to do so.
Not going to fault that, i wasnt there.

I do know that teams here offer players a spot at tryouts.
And people either take it
Or coach takes someone else.
Then move on as normal.
No biggy.

Travel is diverse in that coaches can do what they want and so can players/families.

At some point its not the coaches responsibilty to be concerned with family finances.
Maybe some teams coaches are going to 'care' but most teams the cost is the cost no assistance.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
What are the statistics on integrity?

While in this op's post he offered up immediately taking an entire team of players.
Perhaps he saw something good in the group to do so.
Not going to fault that, i wasnt there.

I do know that teams here offer players a spot at tryouts.
And people either take it
Or coach takes someone else.
Then move on as normal.
No biggy.

Travel is diverse in that coaches can do what they want and so can players/families.

At some point its not the coaches responsibilty to be concerned with family finances.
Maybe some teams coaches are goung to 'care' but most teams the cost is the cost no welfare assistance.
Control what you can control. If you want to offer on the spot (to either a single player or a group of players) that is fine..just be aware that because you cannot control the actions (if you want to say integrity that is fine..although that may be a bit strong imo) of others, the "yes" you get may not be
as binding as you think it is.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Asking for a yes/no in a group setting is just asking for trouble.
Absolutely! I’ve never had a HC or the head of an organization ask me to give them an answer on the spot at a tryout!

All the stars would have had to line up, and me (and Anna) be blown away with the situation to give an immediate yes!

I think a phone call at least 24 hours later is appropriate.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Control what you can control. If you want to offer on the spot (to either a single player or a group of players) that is fine..just be aware that because you cannot control the actions (if you want to say integrity that is fine..although that may be a bit strong imo) of others, the "yes" you get may not be
as binding as you think it is.
Post #5

Jun 8, 2016
Absolutely! I’ve never had a HC or the head of an organization ask me to give them an answer on the spot at a tryout!

All the stars would have had to line up, and me (and Anna) be blown away with the situation to give an immediate yes!

I think a phone call at least 24 hours later is appropriate.
The first team Marcela was on, Marcela tried out and the coach called us a week later with an offer. Before that we had worked out/"guested" for a few teams. This was for first year 10's so very young (she was only 7 when she tried out). The second team she played for (her current team, 2nd year 12's when she started) it wasn't really a tryout for her..the coach knew it was more about us wanting to play for them vs. them wanting her. She went and practiced with the team but I had seen them practice before (they are in the same org as her first team) and had watched them play a few times. Marcela tried out for another team after the practice, the guy offered her something on the spot. I told both coaches we would take a few days to think about it and would get back to them.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
As a parent/consumer: Operate on your own timetable, not someone else's.

Never sign or commit to anything if the salesperson is applying pressure. Just don't.

As a salesperson -- and I spent 15 years as a salesperson selling new homes -- never let them know how much you need the sale. Your sign-then-cancel rate on first-time walk-ins is nearly double what it is for longer amounts of time invested. You always push for the same-day sale, but you just need to be prepared for cancels when they come.

If you offer on the spot, there's a sense of desperation in what you're presenting. Always let families know there are other options for the team. You'd LOVE to have her, but your team will be fine if she doesn't decide to come. Even if you won't.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Right..saying you pay something on the spot for a "yes" would be one way of limiting your liability..it may also be one way of limiting your options for potential players 🤷‍♂️
cant please all the people all time
How long has that doozy been around lol

At some point in tryouts conversation to make a commitment occurs.
What does YES mean when people flake on it...or dont comunicate whats really in their brain.
Thats the imposing question i gleen from op's post

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
cant please all the people all time
How long has that doozy been around lol

At some point in tryouts conversation to make a commitment occurs.
What does YES mean when people flake on it
Thats the imposing question i gleen from op's post

Haggle about offer in the moment or later,... Whatever :) ;)...
Still (come on now)
Flakey is out there and it makes it harder to faciltate teams.
You are arguing for what parents of kids who tryout should be doing which is in line with the OP so I get it and I agree with you in a perfect world, yes should mean yes. What I am getting at is as a coach how do you best make that "YES" as firm as possible while also leaving yourself with the best player options possible. That is a tough question and because it is a multi-objective optimization problem, the best overall result is probably going to sacrifice the optimality of each of those (most firm "YES" and best players you can get) things individually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal