Commit then say no??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Would like to read others comments about picking up
' package of players'

It can fill a big need for teams.
But hmmm tends to also come with some luggage.
Not that its bad.
But it can be a pre-formed clic.

As a coach, we let parents know that we'd love to keep friends and families together and would try to accomodate package deals, but more than that we need the team to be complete. If the package deal includes a catcher and we have 4 already, it's unlikely we can accomodate the package deal.

In essense, we don't do package deals. But we didn't tell them that.

If both were great and needed, we happily take the package.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
we make offers to players and the offer is good until our roster is full. Be that 1 day, 2 days , 1 week etc. Music stops and you haven't taken a chair, sorry about your luck.

player and family can take as long as they want. but understand that spot is not saved and we are moving forward. Not waiting on a player to commit.
The better the player the longer the wait. If super stud pitcher comes back 2 or 3 weeks later after going to multiple tryout and says they are interested and would like to come out to a practice or guest play. Even if team has 3 pitchers rostered, most ALL coaches will make room.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
we make offers to players and the offer is good until our roster is full. Be that 1 day, 2 days , 1 week etc. Music stops and you haven't taken a chair, sorry about your luck.

player and family can take as long as they want. but understand that spot is not saved and we are moving forward. Not waiting on a player to commit.

I like that. If you already have most of your pitching and catching locked up, I see this working very well. When your roster is "full" is something you alone decide. It places no direct "salesman" pressure on the player's family, but plenty of "you'd better decide" pressure on the player.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
The better the player the longer the wait. If super stud pitcher comes back 2 or 3 weeks later after going to multiple tryout and says they are interested and would like to come out to a practice or guest play. Even if team has 3 pitchers rostered, most ALL coaches will make room.

Yeah, there are always exceptions. "Roster size is capped at 12... err... 13!"

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, there are always exceptions. "Roster size is capped at 12... err... 13!"
From what I heard, DD's coach received a phone call from one of the better 08 pitchers in the State after the season but he had told us the team wasn't going to pick anybody else up (they have 12 players and 3 pitchers..none of whom are quite as good as this kid yet...) and that is what he told them I guess. On the one hand it is nice to see him stick to his convictions..on the other hand I wouldn't have minded watching her pitch for them :p (of course my kid doesn't pitch so... ;) )

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
From what I heard, DD's coach received a phone call from one of the better 08 pitchers in the State after the season but he had told us the team wasn't going to pick anybody else up (they have 12 players and 3 pitchers..none of whom are quite as good as this kid yet...) and that is what he told them I guess. On the one hand it is nice to see him stick to his convictions..on the other hand I wouldn't have minded watching her pitch for them :p (of course my kid doesn't pitch so... ;) )

Yes, I can admire him sticking to what he told y'all.

One of the best teams around here had plenty of players but added another pitcher and another catcher. That made about 5 existing families pretty upset, as they felt they had enough pitchers and catchers. Now they're griping about playing time, and the season hasn't even started.

Jun 20, 2015

actually, not in our case. We've turned multiple players down over the years, that have tried to join after our roster is full.

May 6, 2015
nothing wrong with telling X number of families that you are offereing them one of Z spots, and when Z spots are filled, all outstanding offers are void.

this neither pressures a decision right there, nor does it leave it open ended. it lets the player/family pool decide the timeline.

of course, I would say the first who send me down payment get the spots. not truly committed till you have put skin in the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K4man