Commit then say no??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Holy Carp.

The parents in my universe commit to many teams. And they've said things to me like "Oh, we'll go with Bob's team if we get an offer." I remind them that they've already committed to a different team, and they say "yes, it means we'll play on that team unless we get a better offer."

They have zero problem walking after committing. They are just reserving a spot.

I really find it a bit appalling.

Oct 4, 2018
Another lesson to be learned is:

Come here to DFP and ask questions before you make any moves. :)

Kinda serious. Several new coaches ask for help here before having tryouts or the first practice, and by doing so it inevitably goes better. So much information here that can help.

Feb 20, 2019
Unfortunately, this is the state we are in today. There are so many teams fighting for the same pool of players that words, commitment, honor and loyalty are few and far between. I've never made an offer at the first practice and I've lost a few players that way. But, I figure the players and parents that plan to stick around and want to play for me will understand it takes more than one practice to complete an evaluation. Those that don't likely won't stay with their team long term anyway.

I've also had an issue with "package" deals, of 2-5 players. I can possibly accommodate a 2-player package but 5 players is just absurd.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Families need time to discuss big commitments. What if the cost was too much but it was embarrassing to the player and/or parents to admit that in front of a group of other people? I don't think it's fair to expect people to make on the spot decisions that will affect the whole family for a year or longer. I concur with those who say phone calls to each family are appropriate. Give them a chance to have their questions answered before they commit their time and money.
You beat me to it. I have noticed that not a single club that I've seen has any indication of cost on their website. Maybe if parents knew the costs up front they wouldn't waste anyones time by attending a tryout for a team that is more expensive than they are willing to pay. Just tells me that it's more about making a buck than helping girls become better softball players.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I've also had an issue with "package" deals, of 2-5 players. I can possibly accommodate a 2-player package but 5 players is just absurd.
Would like to read others comments about picking up
' package of players'

It can fill a big need for teams.
But hmmm tends to also come with some luggage.
Not that its bad.
But it can be a pre-formed clic.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
one year, DD and one of her friends, a pitcher, kinda had a back door package deal, both were switching, and both (for different reasons) were looking at a lower level team just for one year, they went back and forth with each other, neither wanted to do it unless the other was (pitcher wanted someone who would actually catch her decently, DD wanted someone else providing offense besides her).

not really fond of package deals. at some point you need to move beyond what you are comfortable with. if you want to stick together with a particular group, to me that is what rec is for.

May 1, 2018
I say it all the time: You have to pick them, but they also have to pick you.
Asking for an on the spot answer is not giving them time to discuss as a family. I make all the softball decisions in my house as my daughter has 49% of the say currently, but I always weigh stuff with my wife. Always.

May 6, 2015
any time someone demands an answer on the spot, pretty much a no for me. I DO NOT LIKE HIGH PRESSURE SALES TACTICS, whether for softball teams, cars, whatever.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I always found the timing of commitments to be a challenge. I do think parents/players deserve some time in order to make their decision, but how much time? As a coach I was always trying to balance the "we need more time to make our decision" with the "why isn't the coach calling us with an offer?" families. Unfortunately what typically happens is that the players that are waiting for offers are waiting because some other family hasn't made their decision yet. It creates a difficult situation for everyone involved.

Jun 20, 2015
we make offers to players and the offer is good until our roster is full. Be that 1 day, 2 days , 1 week etc. Music stops and you haven't taken a chair, sorry about your luck.

player and family can take as long as they want. but understand that spot is not saved and we are moving forward. Not waiting on a player to commit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie