Comments on drill Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

That is a great drill I do this with my 2 DD 's the only thing g I do a little differently is to have the front tee in the two tee drill a little higher instead of a little lower like the coach on the video does .... the reason for that is I want my Dd's to have a slight up swing on the ball to match the flight of a pitched ball. If your short to and long through and not swinging on the same plane as the ball it really doesn't matter because your bat and the ball won't won't be on the same plan long enough anyways. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
[QUOTE Finally we would never say what someone does "sucks" in front of others, and we would never say "someone who is a xxx type of hitter won't be able to do this drill."[/QUOTE]

Yea, the guy rubbed me the wrong way. I'll reserve my other comments to see what others have to say...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What the first drill is attempting to instruct is adjustability in terms of the ‘release’ (Howe’s “launch”). The notion is that by bringing the hands forward slightly more, and prolonging the release, that one can adjust when ‘fooled’. The objective, regardless of whether you are ‘fooled’ or not, remains to hit the ball up the middle … or some will translate to having an inside-seam objective.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am a dummy and did not get that out of the first drill.* Some kids are not going to get fooled to begin with, because the pitcher is not going to throw off speed unless or until she finds out the kid is a good hitter....I would think the drill above is more basic.

However, we do teach a protect swing that is a lot like Ichiro. The pull bat through and flick is for a good hitter with quick hands/wrists who is actually going to get an off speed thrown to them. Trust me I have some kids who are not there yet.....

Please explain to a dummy. Remember it is nice to have all kinds of technical stuff and names of muscles but I don't hit that way, so I can't teach that way....(ie, when I am facing XX, "I try and feel my rhombus fire." ..that does not work for me.)

*PS. By that I mean the 1 portion of the 1-2-3 drill.

He was pretty clear that he wanted the ball hit "up the middle" regardless of how far forward he moved the tee.

It was also pretty clear that the batter kept attempting to make contact with an inside-seam approach ... again, regardless of how far the tee was moved forward.

A basic summary of the drill is that the tee is moved further out front (closer to the pitcher) with the hitter being given the goal to still drive the ball up the middle.

As for believing that all pitches from a pitcher come in at the same speed ….. I’m not buying that. I don't have to buy it ... because the data I've collected knows not to count on that.

It isn’t uncommon for many pitchers to throw a different pitch that comes in at a different speed. Also, some pitchers throw the same pitch to a different location and realize a different speed. You have to be able to make small adjustments to different speeds even if the pitcher doesn't have a noteworthy change-up … you have to be able to ‘react’ when fooled slightly … because in the end, every swing is to some extent just that … a ‘reaction’.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
OILF, note the use of three different zones ..... basically having the tee forward at three different locations.

For each location the hitter attempted to send the ball up the middle.

Consider the notion of having three tees set up at the same time … located at what was called zone-1, zone-2 and zone-3. It isn’t like a single good swing (with a good hand pivot point) would be able to send all three balls ‘up the middle’. The barrel is in the process of pivoting, and would send the balls in different directions.

The goal was to ‘hit the ball up the middle’ with a single tee placed at zone-1, zone-2 and then zone-3. To do this an adjustment needed to be made between each successful swing.

What do you believe the adjustment was?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Zone #1
_e6hRi.gif

Zone #2
ASTt5l.gif

Zone # 3
7Co5PI.gif

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Zone #1
_e6hRi.gif

Zone #2
ASTt5l.gif

If you did this drill allot, I would be scared of the outcome. I was never one to have the impact point that far out in front of the body.
Her front arm is straight then the bat makes a 45 degree turn off that.

I think the front arm and bat should be straight in line, or just a slight curve at impact.

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, is this a drill you would or do use? As you might guess, this one isn't for me.

CB, I don't use this drill.

For starters, he's using a 'stop swing', and in so doing he's deadening the pivoting action.

While I will use 'stop swings' on occasion, I don't do it for this reason. In fact .... I'm more apt to use a 'stop swing' to encourage a hitter to let the ball get deeper in the zone ..... pretty much the opposite of what this guy is doing when he instructs a 'stop swing' at his zone-3 location.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
JMHO and please correct me if I am wrong. Di-spit how the 'coach' demo's the swing the female hitter does a good job of hitting the ball straight into the net. Which I took as the goal of the drill. At first I didn't like the drill once it went past zone # 1. At DD's practice her team did the drill as shown as drill #1. Most of the girls didn't even know what 'contact'/stop position should look like. Second most hitters front shoulder would fly open. Causing the ball to go towards pull side. I now see the goal of this drill as the hitter progresses from zone #1,to zone #2 & zone #3 is not to have the front shoulder fly out open and hit the all up the middle. I like the drill as the hitter demo's the drill not liken the drill as the coach demo's/explains the drill. Again JMHO.

Added: The hitter never 'truly' stops at impact. So, in a sense is hitting through the zone. I 'm focusing on the front shoulder not flying open. Just because of what I witness with DD's team today.
Zone #3:
7Co5PI.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie