College Pitchers using Step Style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2011
I have seen Paige in person and she is athletic, has excellent form, pitches that come in and break hard, and a very good leap and drag. How is that a step style?

Thanks, Screwball, I was trying to figure that out myself -- looks like her stride is right about at her height. Would you say she's an example of a rather closed style?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Calling Paige a leap and drag pitcher is a little bit of a stretch. Her footwork is more leap and drag, but there isn't much leap or drag. I've seen step pitchers do more leaping and dragging than her.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XGqGgL7dYLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan 27, 2010
I would call her motion "leap and drag/step style lite". She is more of a closed style pitcher.

Aug 19, 2011
She lands with her stride knee flexed and pushes back at plant. This would generate extra energy for the arm and reduce the amount of drag necessary to balance forward momentum. She releases with her head well behind her plant, which also minimizes drag. I don't know from step style, I just think her legwork is deceptive -- if you look at where her plant winds up and how long it takes to get there, there's more energy than there might seem.

Oct 22, 2009
Step style is very common around where I am as well.
The way it is taught here is that your stride foot has to stay near your push foot and land right in front of the rubber. It's basically kick up the stride foot, pivot open and come right back down closing the hips.
My DD was first taught this style, any pushing from the rubber was frowned upon, she was taught the further your stride foot is away from the rubber the weaker you will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877