coaches interfering with players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Nonsense.

Hitters need to know how to spoil a pitch in order to run up pitch counts.

I'm sorry but that sound silly to me. Hitters need to know how to spoil a pitch in order to not make an out, so she can hopefully get on base later in that at bat. Running up a pitch count might be a byproduct but it is not the intention.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Nonsense.

Hitters need to know how to spoil a pitch in order to run up pitch counts.

So you think hitters spoil pitches to intentionally run up the pitch count? Ok. Keep teaching your hitters to have quality strike outs and 15 pitch innings. :)

Getting on base without making an out is the only way to extend innings and as a byproduct... raise pitch counts.

Oct 12, 2009
So you think hitters spoil pitches to intentionally run up the pitch count? Ok. Keep teaching your hitters to have quality strike outs and 15 pitch innings. :)

Getting on base without making an out is the only way to extend innings and as a byproduct... raise pitch counts.

Major leaguers know how to foul off pitches in order to increase the odds that they will get a mistake.

Manny Ramirez was a master at it (and did it deliberately).

May 14, 2010
Manny Ramirez also struck out nearly 1 out of every 5 atbats. Seems like he was a master at that, also.

If I had a player that struck out that often, and she told me she was good at working the count, she would become experienced sitting on the bench.

Coaching is about playing the odds. The odds are that most of my players don't hit as well when they are behind in the count. Neither do MLB players. So I don't advocate watching strike 1 just so they can time it. Don't grasp what good it does to get your timing down when the first pitch is a 53mph heater over the plate and the next one might be a 36mph knuckle flirting with the inside corner.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Manny Ramirez also struck out nearly 1 out of every 5 atbats. Seems like he was a master at that, also.

If I had a player that struck out that often, and she told me she was good at working the count, she would become experienced sitting on the bench.

Coaching is about playing the odds. The odds are that most of my players don't hit as well when they are behind in the count. Neither do MLB players. So I don't advocate watching strike 1 just so they can time it. Don't grasp what good it does to get your timing down when the first pitch is a 53mph heater over the plate and the next one might be a 36mph knuckle flirting with the inside corner.

Very good point!

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Major leaguers know how to foul off pitches in order to increase the odds that they will get a mistake.

Manny Ramirez was a master at it (and did it deliberately).

I thought you stated that they did this in order to raise pitch counts. Now they are trying to get to the mistake? They had their chance at the mistake on the first pitch that they took right down the middle.

They do that just to keep their at-bat alive. If they foul a ball off that was out of the zone, they should have taken it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32