Cindy Bristow on coaching female athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Leave it to Cindy Bristow to come up with a great article that explains some of the mysteries of female athletes and how they think. If you're a male and coaching females, especially if you're new to it, you may find yourself quite bewildered at times. You say something you think is perfectly legitimate -- and maybe it is -- but you get a reaction that isn't what you expected. Cindy's article will explain why.

If you're a female coach, especially if you're a former college player, you may want to read this article too. I've found in talking with some of the girls who have played for me that female coaches can be even worse about that sort of thing. My theory is that they don't fit the stereotype Cindy talks about, and maybe even resent other females who do. So they have little sympathy for how sensitive or insecure their players are. But the truth is if you want to build a team and have players who will run through a wall for you, you'd better get on board with it. There are more of them than there are of you.

It never ceases to amaze me how things can be taken. I recently had one of players wondering if I was mad at her because I dropped her a couple of positions in the batting order during a rough tournament. I was desperately searching for a combination that would work (none did, unfortunately) and just shuffled things up. She apparently spent the rest of the day wondering what she'd done wrong.

So yes, you definitely have to watch it. Cindy's article is a must-read for all of us.

More...

May 12, 2008
Thanks. Rabbitt Blake taught me #4. Chew out a boy and his buddies will be razzing him and they'll all have a good laugh about it later. Chew out a girl and the whole team hates you.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yes, I learned a long time ago (the hard way) you don't single out one girl in front of the others. Boys can handle it, girls can't - generally speaking.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I agree, great post. I have believed (and try to practice) this for a while, too bad most coaches don't...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I mentioned the "If you put down a boy he just thinks you're an idiot but if you put down a girl you're just confirming what she already thinks" idea to some of my players tonight. They agreed with that. I have a couple who really fall into that. Both good players too, but they always see the worst in themselves. My job is to get them out of thinking like that. Works better sometimes better than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch