Cheering/ Yelling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Yeah, we have a town in our area that usually fields two teams. One is usually solid with some travel players and then the rest on the other team. Both teams are taught to scream and yell when the pitcher winds up. It's annoying but DD has learned to ignore it. We usually beat both teams by 10 plus runs....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
There is 6-10-E, when a player, manager or coach calls time, employs any other words or phrase, or commmits any act while the ball is live for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Little League has a rule against that kind of bush league stuff. It really disturbs me that parents, coaches, players, or whoever would pull that crap at such a young age...Sorry to hear you are having to deal with it and sounds like there is not a rule against it in your particular league. Little League doesn't get everything right but they did get this one over the plate!

Rule 4.06 -
Rule 4.06 No manager, coach or player, shall at any time, whether from the bench or the playing field or elsewhere

(1) Incite, or try to incite, by word or sign, a demonstration by spectators;
(2) Use language which will in any manner refer to or reflect upon opposing players, an umpire or spectators.
(3) Make any move calculated to cause the pitcher to commit an illegal pitch.
(4) Take a position in the batter’s line of vision, with deliberate intent to distract the batter.
The umpire may first warn the player, coach and/or manager. If continued, remove the player, coach and/or manager from the game or bench. If such action causes an illegal pitch, it shall be nullifed.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
They tried this with my DD in her first year of 10u travel ball. It only worked one game. After that we told her they were doing it because they were scared. The next time a team did this to her she K'd two in a row and looked at their dugout and said it wasn't going to work. Ever time another team tried it it just made her laugh and pitch better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
In our rec league, there's a cheer the offense always does which we call the "achoo cheer" which annoys me so much. As the pitcher gets ready to throw, they do the mimic to sneeze and as soon as she starts to throw, they "sneeze" very loudly. It's seriously one of the ones I HATE that other teams do. When DD pitched and they did it, it always gave me so much pleasure when she would still strike out the batter even while they did it.

There were games though that we talked to the ump about it when it was getting out of hand or just screaming high-pitched while the pitcher was in motion. Yea - the pitcher should be able to ignore it but then it's really just about good sportsmanship.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
One of my proudest moments in softball was when my dd was 12. I am sure I have told this story a dozen times on here but I will tell is a dozen more. We played in a league of travel teams. We played a team that would scream when the pitcher went into her Motion and would end up louder as she was releasing. My dd would stare at the bench after every strike out. At the end of season for us we just won the league tourney and our travel schedule was done. This coach comes up and praises my dd and asks if she would guest play for them at an upcoming tourney, I told him it was up to her . I called her over and introduced him and he asked her if she would come to this tourney told her she would pitch half the games and play first the rest. She looked at him a second and then asked me " is his team the one that screams at the pitcher from the dugout?" Yep " no thanks coach I could never play with a team that acts like that." And she walks away to join her team. He just stood there with his mouth open. I smiled and said thanks for the offer but I guess it's a no.

Jun 11, 2013
I have no respect for anyone that does it. I don't care what level you are playing at it's bush. However, some teams are going to try and do
it. Players need to be able to play when it happens.

Generally when we play if a team does it, we'll mention to the coach when we can talk to him/her in a quiet setting and ask them to stop. Some
don't realize they are doing it or don't know that it's considered wrong and will get team to stop.

We had a new player on our team do it for a pitch last year. In 2 seconds we had 3 of our leaders say to her "We don't act like that here".

Jun 1, 2015
Speaking ASA, AFA the base coach, s/he is forbidden by rule to address players of the opposing team (4.7.C.4), so that can be stopped immediately.

The only time I've ever addressed an opposing player is when they make an outstanding play, even if it goes against my team. I'm of the rationale that exemplary play should be commended regardless of the uniform, and I've never had an official say a word to me about it. Maybe I've been lucky, who knows.

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
When I did 14U our girls would be chanting during our at bats. It got so loud I had to cool them down so I could talk with the runners. If they ever said anything out of line, I would snap my head around and just glare at them. They quickly got the message. I don't think that will work with my daughter down the road. She is getting immune to my glares at the rip old age of 7.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma