Cheering/ Yelling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2015
There is a team based in our area that does this kind of stuff. It is a 14A travel team and a good one. In addition to yelling at pitchers, they rattle the dugout fences and use softballs to bang on the dugout walls. This year they brought real drumsticks to tournaments to better bang on buckets. The parents of these players seem to eat this stuff up. To me, these antics are bush league and disrespectful of the game.

Feb 7, 2013
Disgraceful by the coaches and players.

I will say that at the younger ages, 8U and 10u, a few teams would scream at my DD pitching (e.g. yell during her wind-up and scream louder right before she released the pitch) and in hindsight it was good for her to experience that because she learned to tune out the "background" noise when she pitches.

The worst is when young, newbie pitchers are leaping or not dragging their back foot completely within the rules and the opposing coaches and parents are yelling "illegal pitcher" after every pitch and make her feel like a criminal.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The only time I've ever addressed an opposing player is when they make an outstanding play, even if it goes against my team. I'm of the rationale that exemplary play should be commended regardless of the uniform, and I've never had an official say a word to me about it. Maybe I've been lucky, who knows.

It is a game control rule meant to protect the target of derogatory comments or those coaches who try to play a head game with opposing team members. I doubt anyone would say anything about a compliment.

Jun 1, 2015
True, but I've known/seen some umpires who would consider a sneeze after a discussion as "trying to get the last word in" because of their power trip mentality. Most though wouldn't say a word, I know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd