Annoyed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I've complained about DD's HS coach before but what he did last nite really annoyed me. So the coach has his obvious favorites on the team - they will play every game. One is a freshman and one is a sophomore - on really good travel teams so he sees that and loves it. DD is lucky that she actually has started most of this year and she had started DP in our game but eventually he put her in the OF. So she was playing LF. This game should have been easy for us but our amazing infield kept making errors. Girl on 1st steals 2nd. Throw is a little off - the two best players on the team basically watch the ball go to the outfield Our CF luckily was there and threw to 3B to at least prevent the girl from going all the way home. So bad throw but SS missed it and 2B should have backed it up but whatever. (Again not the first error of the day for these infielders). So during that play where the girl gets to 3B - what does the coach do - but come out and yell at DD for not backing up the throw to 3B - which granted - she should have been hustling over to get it. But you yell at MY kid when your two best players watched the ball go to the outfield??

We've already had so many issues with the way things are being done this season - you can't talk to him because he probably would just sit DD for the rest of the year. To come out and yell at DD when his other star players have been making error after error (we lost 9-7 - our pitcher only gave up 2 ER if that tells you anything) - I get it - I want to protect my kid so I'm biased but this was just the final straw - I lost so much respect for him because of it - I thought this season was going to be better.
Then to hear from DD that the coach actually jokes and smiles with these kids but others try to talk to him and they get blank stares - wth? Try not to make it obvious.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
your DD needs to do her best with the physical and mental tools she has.
your DD needs to help her team whenever she can and however she can.
at the end of the season, your DD needs to thank the HC and you for teaching her how to focus on what's truly important and how to fade the irrelevant.
:)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What??? You're not happy with your kid's HS softball experience?

Welcome to that very large and distinguished club. At least your kid is playing despite the apparent favoritism.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
0339cee511cd9c5cb4c305d07ecb3075.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 11, 2014
Same thing happened/happens to my granddaughter every time a sport gets a different coach. But as I tell her, cream always rises to the top and eventually the coaches become more dependant on her than the last coach. Just have faith that things will resolve(usually with the coach looking foolish) in their own time and teach her to while being respectful don't take **** from anybody.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I've complained about DD's HS coach before but what he did last nite really annoyed me. So the coach has his obvious favorites on the team - they will play every game. One is a freshman and one is a sophomore - on really good travel teams so he sees that and loves it. DD is lucky that she actually has started most of this year and she had started DP in our game but eventually he put her in the OF. So she was playing LF. This game should have been easy for us but our amazing infield kept making errors. Girl on 1st steals 2nd. Throw is a little off - the two best players on the team basically watch the ball go to the outfield Our CF luckily was there and threw to 3B to at least prevent the girl from going all the way home. So bad throw but SS missed it and 2B should have backed it up but whatever. (Again not the first error of the day for these infielders). So during that play where the girl gets to 3B - what does the coach do - but come out and yell at DD for not backing up the throw to 3B - which granted - she should have been hustling over to get it. But you yell at MY kid when your two best players watched the ball go to the outfield??

We've already had so many issues with the way things are being done this season - you can't talk to him because he probably would just sit DD for the rest of the year. To come out and yell at DD when his other star players have been making error after error (we lost 9-7 - our pitcher only gave up 2 ER if that tells you anything) - I get it - I want to protect my kid so I'm biased but this was just the final straw - I lost so much respect for him because of it - I thought this season was going to be better.
Then to hear from DD that the coach actually jokes and smiles with these kids but others try to talk to him and they get blank stares - wth? Try not to make it obvious.

Interesting that you think 2B "should have backed it up." Is that how this team covers steals?

I specifically tell my 2B (or my SS, depending on who is covering) to stay home because it's absurd to have two players leave their positions, leaving almost the entire infield open, when the center fielder is fully capable of backing up a bad throw (95% of the time, the infielder backing up can't get far enough behind the bag to be an adequate backup anyway).

Seems a little extreme to yell at your kid like that, but maybe not. What if she had worked on it in practice all week and then didn't do it in the game? What if coach had just reminded her and she didn't do it? Do you know the whole story?

It sounds like the coach doesn't yell at players for making errors, but he might yell at a person who doesn't hustle/makes mental mistakes/isn't where she's supposed to be. Depending on what we mean by "yelling," I see nothing wrong with this approach.

As for this:

you can't talk to him because he probably would just sit DD for the rest of the year

It would be really bad for the coach to sit her because of something you did, but no, you shouldn't talk to him about it. I certainly wouldn't bench a player because her father was out of line, but make no mistake, you absolutely would be out of line to confront him about this (if the yelling itself wasn't anything egregious, and the issue was with how he maybe didn't apply his discipline/criticism equally).

Maybe the coach is playing favorites. Maybe the coach has developed a better rapport with certain players. Maybe there's a lot more to this than what you've posted, but I'm not seeing how what happened here is such a big deal.

Aug 25, 2019
I guess we can talk to the TB coach about things since we pay for DD to be there, but we cannot say a word to the HS coach. I certainly wanted to say a few things to DD's HS coach this passed year.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I guess we can talk to the TB coach about things since we pay for DD to be there

If you want to run the team so badly, why don't you coach? You're paying for the coach to coach. End. Period. Unless we're talking abusive behavior, it really doesn't matter if you're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars. You're paying for your DD to be coached by that coach. You're not paying for the right to tell the coach what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12