Cathcers signaling coaches after each pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD's 14u team has started having the catcher signal the coaches on each pitch if the pitch hit it's intended target or not. There were no standards given to the catcher, just whatever they think. In the team meeting after the game one of the coaches that has been keeping track will tell the whole team that "pitcher A hit her spots 53% of the time and pitcher B hit her spots 55% of the time. In school that would be considered a fail." Then the lecture about hitting your spots comes in. No other player is singled out in the meeting for swinging at bad pitches or making fielding errors, just the pitchers.

Do you think this is an effective way to deal with your pitchers? What are the pros and cons you see in doing it this way.

Full disclosure: my DD is one of the pitchers but has not had the negative treatment. She has said that they tell her she is usually in the mid to upper 70's % wise and they are good with that. Neither the pitchers or catchers are comfortable with this and the parents of most of the girls are against it. Just looking for some feedback from others outside the situation.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the team meeting after the game one of the coaches that has been keeping track will tell the whole team that "pitcher A hit her spots 53% of the time and pitcher B hit her spots 55% of the time. In school that would be considered a fail.

Perhaps they should extend this to the entire team for their "post game" chat:

Furthermore, Suzy and Sally went 2 for 3 at the plate...or a 66%, so they fail as well. Poor Joan went 1 for 4...a 25%. The team batting as a whole was 12 for 30...a miserable 40%. Further, we scored only 6 of the 12 baserunners...for a 50%. You are *ALL* failures! So, I must be a failure as well! Can't wait to play against this weekend and see how many more times we fail!​

Just looking for some feedback from others outside the situation.

It is stupid...

Data is meaningless unless it is compared with something. Is "hitting spots more than 50% of the time" good or bad? Does the idiot know? Does he have stats from prior years? Also, does "hitting spots" translate into wins?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I ask a spot IF its a strike looking or seing and miss to help chart what to pitch next in that or future at bats.

For example if a batter likes to look at of whiffs on an inside drop then I like knowing that ;)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My catchers only give me one signal during an inning. If a ball is hit hard they tap their stomach if the pitch was fat. They let me know between innings what pitches have movement and if the pitcher is keeping it on the river. Otherwise I know what I called and can see for myself where the pitch is received.

Feb 16, 2012
The pitchers are only allowed to throw fastballs unless they are ahead in the count and then they can throw a movement pitch. If it isn't spot on they have to go back to fastballs. There are usually only two coaches at the game and neither call pitches. The catchers call everything so they don't have a clue to what is even being thrown. I agree that effectiveness is more important than hitting a spot. I have no problems with them checking on hard hits to see if it was too fat or if it was a good pitch but not on every pitch. The pitchers have enough on them without worrying about the signal to the coach and the public announcement later.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The idea that great hitters are successful 3 out of 10 times is one of the biggest sports myths ever perpetuated.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is not pitching calling by the catchers; this is still pitching calling the coaches, with some idiotic, amateur rules. I would think the other team will hit the pitches hard even if they hit their spots. I would love to play your team with my JV players. I am sure we could figure out this pattern in all of one inning and have a nice day at the plate.

You are correct. Since there is no 14U in the NPF, yes they would be amateurs just like your team.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom