Catchers Code of Conduct - DFP Version

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Not a catcher's mom but this one always impresses: Beginning of game, make eye contact with the umpire and introduce yourself...shake hands. Break the ice. Establish camaraderie with Ump. In most cases, they are most likely to communicate with about pitch calls and strike zone.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Not a catcher's mom but this one always impresses: Beginning of game, make eye contact with the umpire and introduce yourself...shake hands. Break the ice. Establish camaraderie with Ump. In most cases, they are most likely to communicate with about pitch calls and strike zone.

This. My dd doesn't catch full time any more. Fills in a game every once in a while to give full time girl a break. When she was younger 10u-14u she always chatted up the umps. Talked to them about what was going on in the game, and just general chatiness. Umps remembered her, and enjoyed having her back there. I had a few come up to me after games and compliment DD on her mannerisms and sportsmanship. DD always after a play was over, if a girl hit a foul ball, or whatever and had to come back to the plate to continue an at bat, DD always would walk over pick up the bat and hand it to the other girl. People remember little things like that. I miss the younger days.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
"A catcher shall pack her own bag and haul her own gear. (Exception - Minor assistance may be granted for 8U players.)"

LOL....I guess I am that dad. Yes it is players responsibility to make sure everything she needs is in there. She is still my baby girl lol, and I always double checked and made sure everything was there and ready to go. And yes there were early mornings that she was sleeping in the car until we got to the field, still getting dressed as we walk up to the field, that I would be pulling her rolling bag full of all the catchers gear and all. I know a lot of parents refuse to carry bags, or pull bags or whatever. Doesn't bother me at all. She is my child and I help her with things all the time, so this, to me, is no different. Not saying I did it all the time, but it happens.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
1. Lead by example, whether it's respecting your equipment, the umpire, teammates or working hard in practice
2. Be accountable to your teammates, coaches and most importantly yourself. This will foster selflessness among the team
3. Have integrity, do what's right even when no one is looking. We all know someone is still most likely looking. This goes for holding your teammates to that same standard
4. Be a grinder, in game 6 whens it's hot the outfielders might not rotate and infielders gloves might not be in the dirt on every play, but the catcher must block, throw, squat, frame and direct. Just keep grinding
5. Be ok with making mistakes. Catchers who are afraid to make decisions are going to slow the growth of the team.
6. Be a wall. Not just with blocking but with everything. Don't let the bad calls, coaches yelling, pitchers attitude and parents show on your face. The face must not change, just be a wall for your team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good stuff, people! At some point, I may re-organize and categorize the list, but so far, we're off to a good start. :)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Never, no matter how much the batter/baserunner may have baited, irritated, cheated, beat the catcher in a play, whatever, should a catcher pound the players head into the ground on a tagout at home. It should go without saying but I've seen this type of unsportsmanlike conduct on numerous occasions around the tournament circuit in recent years.

Sep 9, 2015
Always know the pitch count. Ask the ump if you don't.
Always ask the home plate ump request help on a possible swing.
Loudly call out the outs and play before each batter or after a delay / time out.
Try to know where you are in the opposing teams batting order - announce tendencies: power, speed, bunt, slap, etc.
Everyone knows you are tired / frustrated, but don't ever let it look like you are.

Oct 4, 2014
Great thread Eric! I know it's a bit late but I say they need to not only pack/haul their gear, they need to clean, inspect and care for there gear. They are warrors who voluntarily take a beating and need to know they have their armor and implements in good clean working order. Blow it off, brush it off, and clean it up. Four games on a Saturday afternoon is no excuse to not take care of your gear, especially if mom and dad foot the bill.

Jul 22, 2013
Throw the ball. Don't play chicken with the runners. THROW THE BALL! You will get better, your infielders will get better and the runners will get cautious.

Apr 4, 2016
Ponchatoula, LA
Some really good stuff!! Just found this forum and really enjoy the info! My 1st year coaching 12U and my daughter is the our catcher. Will be passing this along to her and our other catcher. Thanks!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck