resources/code of conduct

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2013
I'm a beginner travel ball coach. I've coached rec leagues but new to accelerated world. I coach 10u and we just finished our first season (10 games). We've got a lot of work to do but girls are learning and progressing. I have two question for you. First if you could recommend a couple of dvd or books that you feel have helped you most with coaching which would they be? Second, do most of you have the players and mostly the parents sign code of conduct forms. I have couple of parents that drive us crazy. They are always making negative comments and getting after the umps. In our short time I've already been told by umps a couple times that they were close to kicking him out. I just tell them please do. Unfortunately his daughter would not be one we would consider on cutting if going of talent but because of her parents she is on top of the cut list. Is this the right decision have you cut players solely on the parents? I was curious if any of you had code of conduct forms that you'd be willing to share? Sorry a little long winded. Thanks for the help.

Jul 6, 2013
Yes cut because of parents. Yes sign a conduct form. Otherwise, they expect you to compensate them when you do. Don't have form to share. They all went to the organization. Wish I could help on the DVDs or books as far as just being a coach...technical help on drills, etc you can find here on this forum.

10 games in a TB season? We played 9 last weekend. We'll play around 100-125 between the fall and the spring.

Jun 11, 2013
Absolutely on the code of conduct. It does 2 things. 1. They know whats expected and 2. The other parents know they know what's expected and they can help keep them in line. I would talk to those parents that are causing problems at least with the umps and tell them exactly how you feel. Especially if they are new they many not really know they are wrong. If they can't control themselves you have no choice, but if they just don't know maybe they will be better and you'll keep your player.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I never had anyone sign a code of conduct. Not saying you shouldn't, but I found it easier to state a few simple rules to them and repeat in an e-mail. Codes of conduct are not well-read, IMO. So I usually started with these rules and then handled the rest on a case-by-case basis -

- Get your kids to practices and games on time.
- Let me know ASAP when your kid will be late or absent.
- Don't coach or yell instructions during practices and games.
- Don't engage umpires in any way.

Most other parental rules of conduct kinda go without saying, or can be handled as they come up. For example, a parent might wander in the dugout. 'Can't come in here.' End of that.

Jun 24, 2013
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
One question I have is; Did you tell the parents any type of rules that you wanted? I ask this because if your going to cut a girl because of the parents, but the parents really didn't know what you expected... then it's really your fault.

Jun 24, 2013
To CoogansBluff’s point is DD has played for 10 or more different coaches and I have never signed a code of conduct, when I was a HC I never had the parents sign a code of conduct. Parents(and grandparents) should know how to behave without signing a form.

I do not have a firm opinion either way but I did provide you an example, what can it hurt to have them sign it. Not sure how much it will help either.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We have all parents and players sign a code of conduct at the first team meeting once the team is set. It specifies what is expected of everyone from the get-go. We, as coaches, also sign a coaches code of conduct. All conduct codes are then copied and the copies are then handed back to the families as well as a signed copy of the coaches conduct code. All originals are sent to the organization.

Yes, we have cut players, not asked them to return for tryouts or just not offered at tryouts because of parents.

As far as resources, I subscribe to the Kobota system (DVD set) and use many of Coach Candrea's drills which you can find on Youtube or the ASA website for fielding.

Throwing I use Austin Wasserman's ebook High Level Throwing complete with 60+ demo videos.

Pitching I leave to the girls PCs although I have all of Bill Hillhouse's DVDs since he was DD's PC before she transitioned to catcher.

Catching I use the New England Catchers Camp DVD with help/pointers from the Softball Catching forum on here.

Hitting I prefer Coach Candrea's Stack Method again, with help from the Hitting Practical/Technical Forum from DFP.

There is a lot of great/useful information on this site and has become one of my most used tools when it comes to coaching.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32