CALLING the PITCHES - the sequence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
If you, your DD, or your pitcher and catcher were in a tight game, your are up 2-1, bottom of the 7th inning, 2 outs, bases loaded, how would you get this batter out?

My purpose in this thread is to get some thinking going about how to call pitch sequences. If I gave you 4 or 5 pitches to throw, what pitches would you throw, or you call, or hope your catcher would call? There are a lot of options for sequences. You can assign your pitch type and location. If you say riseball up and in, it will be posted as an ideal pitch, up and in!

The first pitch must be a strike, and you should preferably use 4 pitches to get the batter out. You are placing the type of pitch, where you want! The objective is to choose pitches that will allow an 0-2 count, and then use 2 more pitches to put the batter away. It doesn’t matter if it is a “K” or a pop-up. Choose a wise sequence that we keep the batter off-balance, or make you successful. You offer the strategy, and I will post your graph.

These are the graphics to choose from:

RH batter

Slapper - focus on the best approach against a slapper who bunts and slaps
Hillhouse - 3 pitches (rise-ball, peel-drop, change-up)

RH Batter.jpgHillhouse.jpgSlapper.jpg

Rules:
1) You can use 5 pitches preferably only 4. Four would be ideal?
2) The first pitch must be a strike - that pitch will be considered a swing and a miss or foul ball (a)
3) On no pitch will the ball be considered put in play for a hit
4) The objective is to get a player out setting them up for the putout
5) You can post as many times, as many sample sequences, as you want

(a)
If the first pitch were taken for a strike, that could change the pitch sequence and strategy. It makes it too complex so we will assume the first pitch is a swing and miss or foul ball. If the first pitch was looked at, you might go back to the well so to speak.

Keep in mind there are four ways to keep a batter off balance. Up/down, in/out, change of speeds, and movement.

I would really like to see DD's and your team players, pitchers and catchers get involved. If you have a catcher or pitcher that wants to offer her sequence, then just give her first name and age along with the sequence information. Your DD, catcher, or pitcher can choose which pitch she throws off of as her primary pitch.

The pitches on most graphics are FB-fastball, CH-changeup, DP-dropball RS-riseball, SC-screwball, CU-curveball (The curveball will serve for the drop-curve if you want to throw it)
The pitch count is displayed in the ball icon. The drop ball has an arrow pointed down, the riseball - up for example. If you are left handed, and the pitch icons change for you, please make note of that by mentioning it in your thread. I will post your graphic with your name and any text you provided in a new post.

I can't make one for a girl who throws 8 pitches at 3 speeds, so don't ask for more. We are making reasonable assumptions. I will not be able to post in other threads, so some coaches will get a break :)

We can learn from each other, debate once the graphic is posted. Debate is welcome, but I would prefer some contribution rather than constant negativity.

Here is a simple graphic as a sample. And no this isn't a good one, it's bad! I just don't want to share ideas with you! We will assume if your sequence is good, the fourth pitch is either a swing and miss, results in a weak out, or a caught foul tip.

Fastball copy.jpg

It might be a good idea to delete your original suggestion post after your graphic is posted to keep the thread small.

You can copy any of these graphics. They are mine and I reserve no rights.

ANY SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I JUST NEED SOMETHING SPECIFIC TO MAKE THIS THREAD SIMPLER, OR TAKE IT AT ITS SIMPLEST IMPLICATIONS AS IS (situation).

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'll really don't understand the rules, but I'll try to play. I choose Hillhouse w/ rise, drop, and change. 1. CU outside corner knees (swing and miss or taken for strike) 2. Rise up and in (taken for ball) 3. CU belt high inside off plate (foul HR by 40 ft). 4. CU outside corner knees strike 3 looking. Skip pitch #3 if you want, who's looking for 3 changes in a row LOL.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I choose Hillhouse w/ rise, drop, and change. 1. CH outside corner knees (swing and miss or taken for strike) 2. Rise up and in (taken for ball) 3. CH belt high inside off plate (foul HR by 40 ft). 4. CH outside corner knees strike 3 looking. Skip pitch #3 if you want, who's looking for 3 changes in a row LOL.

Greenmonsters copy.jpg GREENMONSTERS

Now Bill Hillhouse did say that if anyone uses his name in vane to send him an email :) Here is your sequence. Comments welcome. We are assuming the first pitch is swung at for a strike (miss or foul ball). If it had been taken, that might change the sequence. You might go back to the well for example.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I am throwing 4 pitches to this lefty slapper

1) Outside on black fastball (she fouls off)
2) Inside FB hard off the plate maybe mask high
3) Outside on black fastball (she fouls off)
4) Change up outside on black of plate that tumbles low just out of the strike zone

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Wow! This is a subject that has too many permutations and concerns. It's not that complicated. What can't the hitter hit and what is the pitcher's best pitch. Strike one is important but not all the time. I have seen too many times where a pitcher throws a pitch and the hitter misses it by a foot and the next pitch is something else because there is a "sequence" in somebody's mind. Sometimes you throw the same pitch over and over until the batter proves she can hit it. Getting too fancy can be a problem.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Wow! This is a subject that has too many permutations and concerns. It's not that complicated. What can't the hitter hit and what is the pitcher's best pitch. Strike one is important but not all the time. I have seen too many times where a pitcher throws a pitch and the hitter misses it by a foot and the next pitch is something else because there is a "sequence" in somebody's mind. Sometimes you throw the same pitch over and over until the batter proves she can hit it. Getting too fancy can be a problem.
I think so too but I had to jump in there because Steve put a lot of effort into the premise and graphics. I know you coach at a pretty high level CoachFP. What have you seen regarding slappers from the left side at your level.

Jul 31, 2011
My purpose is to get some thinking going about how to call pitch sequences.
Well I thought we would try this. The first pitch is an automatic strike, and you should use 4 pitches to get the batter out. You are putting the pitch where you want! The objective is to choose pitches that will allow an 0-2 count, and then use 2 more pitches to put the batter away. It doesn’t matter if it is a “K” or a pop-up. Choose a wise sequence that we keep the batter off-balance, or make you successful. You offer the strategy, and I will post your graph since you won't be able to do so in most cases.

These are the graphics to choose from. The names listed here are the primary pitch that that pitcher throws, and you chose.

Dropball
Riseball
Fastball
Slapper - focus on the best approach against a slapper who bunts and slaps
Hillhouse - 3 pitches (rise-ball, peel-drop, change-up)

Rules:
1) You can use 4 pitches preferably or as few as 3. Four is smarter; I wonder if anyone can tell me why?
2) At least the first pitch must be a strike - that pitch is a swing and a miss or foul ball (a)
3) On no pitch will the ball be considered put in play for a hit
4) The objective is to get a player out setting them up for the putout

(a) If the first pitch were taken for a strike, that could change the pitch sequence and strategy. It makes it too complex so we will assume the first pitch is a swing and miss or foul ball.

I would really like to see DD's and your team players, pitchers and catchers get involved.If you have a catcher or pitcher that wants to offer her sequence, then just give her first name and age along with the sequence information. Your DD, catcher or pitcher can chose which pitch she throws off of, or choose the slapper.

I can't make one for a girl who throws 8 pitches at 3 speeds, so don't ask for more. We are making reasonable assumptions. I will not be able to post in other threads, so some coaches will get a break :)

The pitches on most graphics are FB-fastball, CH-changeup, DP-dropball RS-riseball, SC-screwball, CU-curveball (The curveball willl serve for the drop-curve if you want to throw it)
The pitch count is displayed in the ball icon. The drop ball has an arrow pointed down, the riseball - up for example. If you are left handed, and the pitch icons change for you, please make note of that by mentioning it in your thread. I will post your graphic with your name and any text you provided in a new post.

Here is a simple graphic as a sample. And no this isn't a good one, I just don't want to share ideas. The fourth pitch is either a swing and miss, results in a weak out, or a caught foul tip..

If you say riseball up and in, it will be posted as an ideal pitch, up and in!

We can learn from each other, debate once the graphic is posted, and learn. Debate is welcome, but I would prefer some contribution rather than constant negativity.

It might be a good idea to delete your original post after your graphic is posted.

View attachment 1814
Steve
IMO there are way too many variables to even begin to respond to this post effectively mainly of course having to do with the skill level of the pitcher and hitter. For instance you start with the assumption that the first pitch needs to be a strike- elite pitchers can be behind in the count 2-0 at times and not have it hinder them particularly etc. etc. I have "18 an-under Gold pitchers" striking out 18 batters a game in high school and "10 an under pitchers" lucky to throw enough strikes to keep from walking everybody. You have pitchers who tend to be strike-out type pitchers and other pitchers who rarely strike anybody out; so you would call pitches quite differently accordingly etc. Every pitchers "stuff" changes from game to game etc. I won't go on other than to say,a complete pitcher rarely shows any kind of a pattern at all unless they're just blowing everybody away!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My first pitch to a batter was usually a fast riseball a little high in the zone. But not so often it set a pattern, my catchers and I were really big on not letting that happen.

The decision for the next pitch was ALWAYS based on how that batter responded to the first one. 3rd pitch, based on how they reacted to the first two.

That simple system worked well for me.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Fastpitch Softball Pitching Instruction Steve have you seen this or used it. We call pitches based on the batter. As our hitting coach, it is my job to watch the hitter and try to determine what she can or can't hit and where the ball may go. In high school I'm getting pretty good at it. We throw few FB's.

Yes, but some do! Either those that throw very hard, a peel drop, or younger players, or those with 8 different types of fastballs. No I haven't seen this site. I will go to it later. However, this is one of the reasons I always wanted a catcher to LEARN to call pitches.

But right now you are working with everyone but me; you are debating them! I have no input right now. Let me point out that I will add to this thread later, hopefully much later. I can't try to influence this too much. I just set reasonable guidelines that make it easy for me as well. It takes 15-20 minutes for each graph I make. Sometimes it may be 24 hours before I can post them.

Posted by CoachFP

Give me something uncomplicated, but also a little cerebral. I just want to see some smarts used here.
I have seen too many times where a pitcher throws a pitch and the hitter misses it by a foot and the next pitch is something else because there is a "sequence" in somebody's mind.

Amen to that! I even discuss this in my European clinics. I would love an example.
Posted by halskinner - My first pitch to a batter was usually a fast riseball a little high in the zone. But not so often it set a pattern, ny catchers and I were really big on not letting that happen.

The decision for the next pitch was ALWAYS based on how that batter responded to the first one. 3rd pitch, based on how they reacted to the first two. That simple system worked well for me.

Exactly, and I think you if anyone has something to offer in this, so how about choosing a batter and posting your approach.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee